Sanyo HD1 SD media? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old February 10th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sanyo HD1 SD media?

OK, a couple of things kind of popped up in my face today. First off is something I hadn't caught in Sanyo's press release. It said, "Using a 2GB SD memory card (optional) the HD1 can record over 42 minutes of high-definition video." I hadn't noticed that there are 6 Mbs and 9 Mbs HD modes. I saw a chart today that had runtimes for the various media and at the 9 Mbs rate you get 28 minutes, not 42. I don't know the details, but I'm relatively certain the clips we've been seeing aren't shot in the 6 Mbs mode (although it would be really cool if they were). So, the 42 minutes I assumed I'd get from a 2 gig card is actually 28 minutes at the highest quality setting.

But it occurs to me that the maximum speed of a SanDisk Ultra II SD card is 9 Mbs. Do we even know that an Ultra II card can handle recording video from an HD1? It seems like a bad idea if the data rate of the camera is exactly the same as the highest possible transfer rate of the card. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Anyway, you can always step up to an Extreme III card, which has a 20 Mbs data rate, but the biggest one they sell right now is 1 gig. So that's 14 minutes. Which is OK, for the most part. I'm used to film mags lasting 11 minutes a shot, but I'd really kind of hoped to have more runtime with this. The whole idea of buying it was as a really convenient field recorder for gathering hours and hours of interviews in a small format that wouldn't eat up a ton of disk space.

Anyway, if anyone has any illumination to shed...please do. ;-)
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #2
Major Player

B = bytes , b = bits.

Big difference. SD cards go at 4 to 10 MBps , thats mega BYTES a second.
The codecs are under 1 megabyte a second.
-Les
Old February 12th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Dit
B = bytes , b = bits.

Big difference. SD cards go at 4 to 10 MBps , thats mega BYTES a second.
The codecs are under 1 megabyte a second.
-Les
Ah...that explains a lot. But still, why is there a footnote saying that with slow cards you may only be able to shoot a few seconds of continuous footage with the HD1?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)