Sanyo HD1 questions! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old February 25th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Would there be any problem changing SD cards and batteries while the camera is mounted on a tripod?
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #17
Regular Crew

The cards appear to be mounted thru the back of the cam, so the tripod would not be a problem. I am thinking of doing long shoots, like a concert or stage show, and using the AC supply with 4 GB cards.

Gary
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Has anyone seen or know of any postings/reviews that compare this Sanyo with the Sony HC1 (HC3) as for quality and features? I believe I saw the Sony for $1500 at B&H. I am interested in the highest HD(V) video and not so much the still pics.

Gary
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #19
Major Player

Yep, on a tripod without any special adaptor you can not access the AC power or the video out. The battery hatch slides down, so it would not open on a tripod either.
No problem getting to the SD card.
The HC1 or HC3 will beat this unit in picture quality for sure. A few things to consider. Both the Sony cameras a interlaced, not progressive. The HC3 has no mic in jack. Both cameras record to tape and then need to be captured to a computer. Neither are ultra compact.
Old February 25th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Just trying to visualize in my head, the first thought I have for mounting on a tripod, while allowing access for the A/C plugin, would be to use something akin to a short rod-like extension from plate to camera, female threaded adapter at the bottom of the extension and male threaded at the top. Bringing a plate (maybe whole tripod and head) and the camera to a local hardware store, and talking to the store owner (or well seasoned help there) might yield a good solution. They can be pretty helpful for solving problems like that generally.
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #21
Major Player

I seem to be reading nothing but hopeful and positive speculation about the Sanyo HD1 on this thread. From the descriptions
provided by the manufacturer, it sounds like it might be a nice item to have. However, I just read a hands-on review from a Japanese website that described the video quality of this model as being a complete disaster. The reviewer says that the feature set and build quality are very good, but that the picture is not even equal to SD. He says that the pixels are visible and resolution is bad. He does say that the still photo pictures the HD1 produces are good, however.

I'd advise anyone to try this model out in person, before they buy. Sanyo made a couple of earlier models that were similar to this and the reviewer says their picture quality was better.

The reviewer uses the name Daimaou and the review is here:
http://www.akihabaranews.com/review-62-X.html

This reviewer provides some great pictures and descriptions of the controls on this model. Scroll down through all this, to finally get to the essence of his critical remarks.

I've added this later: It's been pointed out that this website is actually from France and not Japan. I guess the Akihabara name and the Japanese signboard in a picture the reviewer put on the website, led me to the first asssumption.

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; February 27th, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
However, I just read a hands-on review from a Japanese website that described the video quality of this model as being a complete disaster. The reviewer says that the feature set and build quality are very good, but that the picture is not even equal to SD. He says that the pixels are visible and resolution is bad.
I'd advise anyone to try this model out in person, before they buy. Sanyo made a couple of earlier models that were similar to this and the reviewer says their picture quality was better.

The reviewer uses the name Daimaou and the review is here:
http://www.akihabaranews.com/review-62-X.html

This reviewer provides some great pictures and descriptions of the controls on this model. Scroll down through all this, to finally get to the essence of his critical remarks.

lol stephen akihabara is not a japanese site but a french site !!

don't u make the difference between japanese and french ???

well this review is the second part of a previous review that akihabara made some weeks ago

that's true that the many video clips i saw from the HD1 let much to be desired

i mean the videoclips are closer to SD than HD !!! the only video from that camera that were close to HD were the ones proposed by Sanyo itself !!!!

heck do u wanna pay 800 bucks for a camcorder that is not gonna give you the highest qualited advertised ???

i was very tempted at the beginning, but now i wonder, plus the converting to .avi seems not so easy...
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
I seem to be reading nothing but hopeful and positive speculation about the Sanyo HD1 on this thread.
I was wondering what happened to my reply to this argument from you and Marc, but I see it is repeated:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....5&postcount=10

Thanks
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:25 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Sanyo bug

Wayne,

It is now obvious that this cam suffer from a bug.
ALL the clips posted from all HD1 cams show a lot of jaggies on the "\" direction (first detected by Emmanuel Bertin).
It is once more easily visible on the french test clip :
http://images.akihabaranews.com/revi...2/SANY0008.MP4
Look at the knife vs the fork on this movie.
I am sure Sanyo will provide a fix.

Luc-Henri
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:21 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Henri Barthelemy
Wayne,

ALL the clips posted from all HD1 cams show a lot of jaggies on the "\" direction (first detected by Emmanuel Bertin).
It is once more easily visible on the french test clip :
http://images.akihabaranews.com/revi...2/SANY0008.MP4
Look at the knife vs the fork on this movie.
I am sure Sanyo will provide a fix.

Luc-Henri
maybe it's just me but i don't quite see what you're talking about...when i look at this video, i only see images, i don't see any "/" or "\"

but maybe only professional video guys can see that....
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:26 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Edge

Re salut l'ami !,
Look at the superior edge (contour) of knife. This edge is going in the direction "\" and is heavily saw-toothed.
Look at the superior edge of fork going in the "/" direction, this edge is OK.
Your ability to see this artifact depends of your display resolution and may be technology (CRT could hide this ?). It is easier to see it when you zoom in.
You can also see this artifacts on letters.
Without this, the cam would be far better providing a higher resolution feeling.
This feature is apparent on all clips from all cams (look at the roof edges).

Luc-Henri
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:39 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Henri Barthelemy
Wayne,

Luc-Henri
I noticed this from long ago (look at the Kelloggs "K" on the box) I thought it was just bad interpolation software/binning, but I see what you mean, it shouldn't just be on one side. It is one thing that should not be on this camera.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:38 AM   #28
Regular Crew

ok luc henri, i will look at it with more care
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM   #29
Major Player

I took it into ps, zoomed in and it's easy to see. Hopefully it's a firmware problem and sanyo is aware of it. Then again, it could be the sensor .Kurth
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM   #30
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
I took it into ps, zoomed in and it's easy to see. Hopefully it's a firmware problem and sanyo is aware of it. Then again, it could be the sensor .Kurth
At least it does not show up in digital camera mode, so it is more likely that the problem is in the MP4 encoding process.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)