Editing footage from Sanyo HD1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 1st, 2006, 03:14 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Graham, Gary and others have mentioned the authenticity of the "Baby/Boy" clips. I keep looking for a video equivalent of the EXIF file on digital stills that contains all the information about the camera, exposure, etc.

I have heard that you can find this "metadata" in Vegas, but have not yet figured out how to do so. Any suggestions?
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:25 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Off Topic, but where to put it?

I have been very impressed with the quality of the stills taken with the HD1. The only negative seems to be the weak flash. This seems to be a natural for the use of a small slave flash; since the HD1 can be operated with one hand, you could even hold the slave in the other hand. Or put it on a bookshelf or use the clever new Gorillapod (www.joby.com).

The question then becomes how many times does the HD1 actually flash, once or twice (not counting a red-eye flash). (Most digitals nowadays have a preliminary flash to set exposure, requiring a special slave with built-in circuitry to ignore the first flash). I'll be happy to test this out when I finally get mine!
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:31 PM   #33
Major Player

I think if you where to upload the clip back to the camera, the camera will give you the camera settings when the video was shot. Also I think you can do it on QuickTime, but you need the pro version.
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:40 PM   #34
Major Player

I just took a short video to try this. The video only gives you the quality, size, time, and exposure adjustment on the camera. A photo gives you more details, such as fstop and shutter.
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM   #35
Major Player

I put the baby and child MP4 videos on the camera. The camera did not recognize either of the videos at all.
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:30 PM   #36
Major Player

I even changed the name of the clips to match the camera names and it still ignores that the clips are even there, so I don't think these clips are from this camera.
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:44 PM   #37
Major Player

Suspicious for sure.

Just to play devil's advocate, though, I read somewhere in the manual that the HD1 may even reject it's own footage being fed back to it once it's been manipulated on a computer, i.e. even if the clip was shortened or something?

But yes, they may have just thought any 16:9 720p was fair game to sell the item with... as was the case with the Sony at the tradeshow I mentionned above (although that wasn't 720p obviously!)

As we see more and more clips I am struck by the truth of what David Pogue said in the NY Times. It's good when it's well lit and stable, and not very good at all otherwise.

I'd say you can probably get away with shooting handheld once it is very controlled or well judged, i.e. mature handheld shooting.

The fact that the cam isn't very forgiving, together with those manual controls, makes it less the 'toy' people have claimed.

Last edited by Graham Jones; March 2nd, 2006 at 03:19 AM.
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:19 PM   #38
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Aurili
I even changed the name of the clips to match the camera names and it still ignores that the clips are even there, so I don't think these clips are from this camera.
They must be: they exhibit the same unusual artifacts!
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:33 PM   #39
New Boot

If you open the clip in Quicktime and click on "Window/Show video information" or something like that (i have it in spanish :)) ther you would find information about bitrate, audio sampling and more. In the childīs video says "SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA HD1". (like all my HD1 videos) so i asume that the samples posted are real HD1 movies.
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM   #40
New Boot

Edit success with Quicktime Pro 7 Conversion

Experiment 1: Try loading .mp4 files posted by Joseph into Ulead MediaStudio 7. Error on attempt to load.

Experiment 2: Try converting them with YAMB etc as discussed here. Continuing errors on attempt to load into Ulead MediaStudio 7.

Experiment 3. Try converting them with Apple Quicktime 7 PRO = SUCCESS. Resulting .mov files load and edit OK (with some sluggish response) in ULead.
For test conversion I specified "mpeg4" as the codec. The file (overcast trees and cars no 6) actually reduced in size from 11 Meg to 8 Meg. Seems to be close in quality. There are plenty of options to produce less-compressed larger working files.
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:56 PM   #41
Regular Crew

John,

you are recompressing the file if you use QT Pro and resave to mp4 again. Resave to a QT MOV file uncompressed or an AVI file uncompressed or else you will not see the originasl quality.

Gary
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:11 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Bertin
They must be: they exhibit the same unusual artifacts!
Maybe that is what the CIA wants you to think??

j/k

I guess they are the real deal but altered outside the camera in some way. I did not think of that angle. Thanks Graham.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:11 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Solmssen
The site with thumbnails you can click for the files is at:
http://arena.nikkeibp.co.jp/rev/2006...7/index3.shtml

You can get a crude translation by using the google toolbar and clicking "translate this page".

I found this site by setting the google preferences to search for Sanyo HD1 on sites in Japanese, then clicking "translate this page" next to the citation.

thanx very much for that info !

also thanx Steven for the new application, will try it soon :)
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:45 AM   #44
Regular Crew

all those clips are very sweet but i would like to see more "raw" material, clips where the holder of the camera actually moves quickly or with spontaneous moves

cause most of the clips we can see on this japanese site and elsewhere, if they helps us to get an idea of the capabilities of the HD1, do not tell us much about what this camera will render on our next vacations in real situations : situations where you will not have a stable basis each time to shoot perfect conditions....
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:26 AM   #45
Major Player

I agree with you Marc - and that will be the natural consequence of the cam being released this month.

Fortunately, we are a few steps ahead thanks to Mr Aurili.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)