4GB Cards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Major Player

4GB Cards?

Hey all--Just got my Sanyo HD1 from Amazon today...so they are shipping! And ahead of schedule. Awesome. Anyway, I'm charging it up right now and researching SD cards. I know it supposedly only support 2GB cards, but I'm wondering if anyone is successfully using a 4GB card in the camera. If so, could you let us all know the brand, and if there are any problems or hiccups? Thanks!

Peter

PS Anyone have the wide angle adapter? How is it?
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #2
Major Player

My 4G Transcend 150x card works fine in the camera, but my computer SD slot will not read it.
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Major Player

I read somewhere that the card formatting isn't the same - if you format a card elsewhere it won't work in the HD1 and vice versa.
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Major Player

My card worked straight from the box in the camera. Did not even have to format it first.
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My card worked fine right out of the box too, a 2GB $50 after rebate PNY card on sale at Fry's in California. No speed is listed.

Someone on the thread said that files cannot be put back onto the card from the computer and then back into the camera. I found that I could, but only if I did nothing to the file and followed the Sanyo naming sequence.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #6
Major Player

"My card worked straight from the box in the camera. Did not even have to format it first"

Mine too - but then I came across a warning on page 20.

"If an unformatted card is used, the card itself may become unusable."

I guess this is just them covering themselves, but I did go ahead and format the card in-camera just to be safe!

"Someone on the thread said that files cannot be put back onto the card from the computer and then back into the camera. I found that I could, but only if I did nothing to the file and followed the Sanyo naming sequence."

Yes, I recall Sanyo saying somewhere that files transferred to a computer will only transfer back to the cam if they haven't been manipulated.
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Just ordered the Transcend 4GB card per Joseph's recommendation. I'll let you know if I have any problems with it.

Peter
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #8
New Boot

I have a x150 Adata 4Gb sd card on my Hd1. I read it in my 10$ usb2 card reader without any troubles. I normaly select all video and photo files in card after recording, then i cut and paste them on my hard disk, so i transfer all files and card becomes empty all in one operation.
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael del Campo Garcia
I have a x150 Adata 4Gb sd card on my Hd1. I read it in my 10$ usb2 card reader without any troubles. I normaly select all video and photo files in card after recording, then i cut and paste them on my hard disk, so i transfer all files and card becomes empty all in one operation.
I have both 2 GB and 4 GB cards. I've had no problems. I formatted then using a USB fob on XP but, seeing all the problems posted here, I also formatted two cards in the camera and they still work in the Sanyo, XP, and OS X. I've not tried formatting a card in OS X.

Cal
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Got my 4GB transcend SD card today, popped it into the camera, and it worked like a charm--haven't even formatted it in the camera. I was able to connect the cam to it's docking station and transfer pics as well. Later today I'm going to plug the SD card reader into my PC notebook and see if it recognizes it.

Peter
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

4GB Transcend and 1GB Sandisk mini-SD, both working great!
Old March 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Major Player

Plugged my 4gb SD card into my laptop and it showed up on problem. Nice...

Peter
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #13
Major Player

I previously felt the reason cards were working in the cam but not in some readers was to do with the cam's formatting quirks.

But I just read at Steve's Forums that the standard for 4GB SD cards was only ratified on January 4th. Most, if not all, of the 4GB cards out today are "pre-standard" cards that may not be compatible with many hardware devices!

It's fortunate these "pre-standard" cards usually work in the HD1 and some readers.
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #14
New Boot

I hope this isn't against forum rules, but I wanted to let people know about a pretty good deal on the Transcend 4GB card. Sincere apologies and please delete if I have violated forum policy.

I just ordered the 4GB Transcend SD card from Zipzoomfly.com for $150, shipping included (tax for those of us in California). This is a solid deal by itself, but there is also a $30 mail-in rebate that sweetens the pot further. I haven't actually ordered from ZZF before, but I beleive they have a pretty good reputation.
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #15
Major Player

Is there any limit to the number bought? When does this rebate end? Company seems to be legit?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)