Lens cap at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 13th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Lens cap

Can anyone tell me how the lens of the HD1 is protected - I can't see any sign or mention of a lens cap in the reviews.

Ray
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #2
New Boot

The camera comes with a lens cap and a strap for the lens cap according to the owner's manual. Another thread had a link to the manual. Unlike the C6, the lens cap strap attaches to the camera strap and not the camera itself.

Paul
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It is also possible to attach the lens strap to the camera if this is your preference. The hole for the wrist strap is large enough to accept both the wrist strap and lens cap lanyard.
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #4
New Boot

I have to admit, while I love my HD1 overall, the lens cap is one of its less-than perfect design choices. Ideally, a camera this small would have an automatic lens cover (though the form factor may make that difficult). In the alternative, there should be some way to fix the lens cap so that it is not swinging around and banging into things while shooting. My old Sony DV camcorder has a little clip on the back that lets you attach the lens cap to the strap. I think I may stick a little velcro on the lens cap so I can stick it somewhere on the camera while I am shooting.

Like I said, I think Sanyo got a lot of things right with this brand new product in a brand new segment. There are a number of little nits, which I imigine they (and others) will start addressing in the next few generations, but I guess this is the price of being an early adopter.
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

the lens cap is light enough and smallo enough that the dangle issue is nothing to me what I dont like is that it is NOT secure ie it comes of really easy. i would have preffered a larger "fit over" cover that would not come loose so easily

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)