DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/)
-   -   Having Laptop Problems? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/63021-having-laptop-problems.html)

Peter Solmssen March 16th, 2006 04:58 PM

Having Laptop Problems?

If you are having problems playing Sanyo HD1 files on a laptop, you might try using an external card reader. My Sony Vaio 1.4 Gz mini laptop wouldn't play large SD cards from the PCMIA slot with the SD adapter; I bought a $20 USB 2.0 SD card reader, plugged it into the USB 2.0 slot and files from the Sanyo HD1 played perfectly from the 4GB Transcend card-- didn't even have to copy them to the hard disk. I am using the VLN player.

Erick Hanoteau March 30th, 2006 04:45 AM

I am just about to buy a PCMIA SD adapter for my Dell D800. Do you think there is a chance that the laptop will not read the 4 Gb card?

Peter Solmssen March 30th, 2006 11:25 AM

Buy it where you can return it, since there is no telling, and make sure it is USB 2.0 capable, assuming that your Dell is. It makes a big difference!

Erick Hanoteau March 30th, 2006 01:52 PM

Do you mean I should buy an USB 2.0 external card reader instead of a PCMIA adapter? Or is it the PCMIA adapter which I have to found USB 2.0 capable? Thanks for your help.

David Kennett March 30th, 2006 02:42 PM

I bought a cheapo Inland USB2.0 card reader about a year ago. It works fine on cheap SanDisk 1GB and 4GB Transcend (much faster). A one year old Asus Barebones with built-in reader reads SanDisk but not Transcend. The USB reader works fine on Asus BB though.

The USB reader allso works fine in an old USB1 win98 machine - both cards too!

A USB reader might be more compatible and more flexible.

Peter Solmssen March 30th, 2006 07:56 PM

I agree. The inexpensive card readers seem to work fine; I have had problems with the PCMIA adapter. I also use the card reader to transfer files to a Mac Mini that is connected to my HDTV by DVI, allowing me to view files in Quicktime and edit them in iMovie. Both work very well.

Erick Hanoteau March 31st, 2006 04:00 AM

Thank you for your input. It would be interesting if I could read Jpeg files recorded by the HD1 by inserting the PCMCIA adapter directly to the slot available on the separate tuner of my Pioneer PDP506XDE

On this system, you can watch JPEG images that have been captured and stored in memory cards using a digital still camera. It is mentionned that memory cards have to conform to the PCMCIA Type II and whose formats are the FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, or VFAT. That's why I thought I had to buy an adapter but if you tell me that I may encounter compatibility problems...

Or would it be better to view the files by means of my laptop connected to the tuner?
Or even by connecting the HD1 with component cables and using it as a reader?

Peter Solmssen March 31st, 2006 05:51 PM

Connecting the HD1 dock to the HDTV with the supplied component cables works beautifully for stills and video. The supplied remote allows you to move through the files on the camera, to erase goofs, etc.

Erick Hanoteau April 3rd, 2006 02:05 PM

Yes , this is definitely an option but I don't know if I wouldn't loose the playback features that are built in the Pioneer: Home Gallery, folder access, thumbnail screen, slide show...etc.