Sanyo HD1 Lens Hood - Tripod adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old April 6th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sanyo HD1 Lens Hood - Tripod adaptor

This is a typical case of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Or maybe in this case "a laser can be a dangerous thing" (smile)

Anyway, after having a case of serious lensflare this morning I set out to make a lens hood, and in the process also made a tripod adaptor so the camera cam be mounted on a tripod with the powercord/USB plug installed. Right now Im thinking about making a rotating grip for the battery side to make it more comfortable to operate the camera at eyelevel.

The lenshood is made from 3mm aircraft grade plywood, the walls are about 0.10 inch and its a press fit to the lens barrel of the HD1.

http://www.bophoto.com/HDV

Bo
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Nice one Bo.
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Lens Hood

Thank you Graham,

It really seems like a oversight from Sanyo's side, as a lens hood is essential to controlling lens flare and more importantly in the process of removing stray light from the lens element it also increases the contrast in the image.. One would think that would be the first item Sanyo would have thought to add to the package...

I figure I will wait for the fisheye to arrive and make a lens hood for that also, and then offer them as a package with two IMHO essential lenshoods. (smile) The tripod adaptor... yeah well, my guess is that most people would never use it anyway, its just me going to a pilot conference tomorrow and wanting to record it for hours.. (smile) most people don't get nutty ideas like that.

Bo
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, I've held off with the two lens adapters Sanyo is offering because I like the way it fits into the soft case so well. At first I thought the soft case was only mediocre design, but actually if you zip the cam inside and shake it like a Christmas present, you can't hear anything. There really is virtually no movement. How the adapters would fit into this little scheme I don't know.

However, the hoods are more important to me, so maybe I would carry one separately.

When you say 'offer as a package' are you proposing to sell 'em?
Old April 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Graham,

Yes Im thinking that once I get back in the office in 2 weeks I will run off a batch of them, right now Im selling brackets for spherical panorama photography on my website. and it would not be a far stretch to add lens hoods to the lineup. Only I don't really want to be promoting them here as this is a public forum. (smile) so if you want one, email me directly. (smile)

There is one catch, if you are in the UK its going to cost more to ship the thing there than making it. so for practical matters this is probably a US thing were one can UPS stuff. (smile)

Bo
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #6
Major Player

The heightened reality of your spherical panoramas are contradicted by the surrealism of navigating those panoramas without any timelapse...

Interesting and fun!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)