White Balance confession at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old April 8th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Major Player

White Balance confession

I have to admit, I have been letting White Balance stay on auto or selecting one of the presets - cloudy day, sunny day etc.

I planned to start setting the White Balance manually, but thought I didn't have time so far...

Of course, as camcorderinfo explain, it's easy - you just select the dropper icon on the White Balance menu, fill the screen with something white and press the joystick in.

The HD1 then sets White Balance and many of the problems I have been moaning about with this camera disappear.

It obviously won't do anything for low-light woes, but outdoor footage now looks great no matter what the weather.
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Does this eliminate the need to set a fixed shutter speed or apeture for best quality?
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Also does it help with the "hunting" the camera does in auto?
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Aurili
Also does it help with the "hunting" the camera does in auto?
What do you mean about the "hunting" in auto mode?

From what I have been reading in the threads, the shutter speed should normally remain at 60. The aperture can still be adjusted for lighting conditions.

As far as white balance confessions go, I have to confess that I just recently started doing it, too. Unfortunate for me. I have a few previous shoots where I did not white balance, and it's a pain in the rear trying to do it in Premiere. Anybody have any easy solutions?
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #5
Major Player

"Does this eliminate the need to set a fixed shutter speed or apeture for best quality?"

"Also does it help with the "hunting" the camera does in auto?"

No - but some of our interest in shutter speed and aperture stemmed from problems that a correct white balance solves.

"From what I have been reading in the threads, the shutter speed should normally remain at 60."

I think shutter speed depends on what you are doing really..

"I have a few previous shoots where I did not white balance, and it's a pain in the rear trying to do it in Premiere."

Some of the things an image loses due to incorrect white balance cannot be regained in post.
Old April 18th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones Senior
Some of the things an image loses due to incorrect white balance cannot be regained in post.
I want to cry. What about this software that I downloaded? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....76&postcount=1

Is this not supposed to help and/or correct some of these problems?
Old April 18th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, it might help and/or correct some of these problems.

But some of the things an image loses due to incorrect white balance cannot be regained in post.

For example if a small area of the image is burnt out, i.e. white - yes, there would be software that would allow you to tone the white down so it's not as annoying. Yes, there would even be software that would allow you to paint whatever pixels you like over the white areas! But there wouldn't be software to magically uncover pixels that the camera never captured in the first place.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)