HD1 is not oversaturated at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old April 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #1
New Boot

HD1 is not oversaturated

Clips play fine on TV with HD1, it's the problem with software MP4 decoding,
normally they look oversaturated with clipped highlight and black. If you are using VLC, you may turn on "extended GUI" to reduce contrast and saturation.
That would reveal more details. If you want to convert or edit, try to use MP4CAM2AVI with FFDSHOW. In "Picture Properties" of FFDSHOW's decoder configuration, adjust "Luminance gain" to 111 , "Luminance offset" to 12,
"Saturation" to 46. That would fit HD1's lumaninance range to RGB limit.
PS: Vegas 6's internal MP4 decoder is oversaturated too, color correction doesn't help. MP4CAM2AVI with FFDSHOW is the solution.
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Major Player

That's a great help - In VLC player I just lowered the contrast and saturation slightly and the effect is a better image.

Last edited by Graham Jones; April 10th, 2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

OK for the dummies among us (me included) could you explain how to do this.. I downloaded both MP4CAM2AVI and FFDSHOW... but I can not figure out HOW to use MP4CAM2AVI "with" FFDSHOW...? I did find the picture properties screen... but that is where I get stuck...

Thanks. (smile)

Bo
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #4
New Boot

Sorry for my poor English as I'm not a native English speaker. What I mean is using MP4CAM2AVI to convert MP4 to AVI (convert audio from AAC to PCM is recommanded). Then you will be able to take advantage of ffdshow's "Picture properties" funtion to adjust your video (config both VFW codec and video decoder as well). Try to playback your AVI with media player to check if those adjustments have any effects. If everything alright, you may import your clips to your favourite editing/effect packages for post processing.
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Jacky,

Your english is great.. we are both "non native english speakers" as Im from Denmark but live in California.

OK so first I run MP4CAM2AVI - I have figured this out.

Second you say to run ffdshow...? after I installed FFDSHOW I got a folder with 4 config files/interfaces, but I do not understand how to apply this.. am I for some reason missing the actual application..?

Bo
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #6
New Boot

hi Bo,

Do you find ffdshow under your "Start Menu" > "Program"?
If you see "VFW codec configuration" and "Video decoder configuration" icon,
run them and should be able to see "Picture properties" inside.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Jackie, does using FFDSHOW to fix the MP4 files mean processing? Is there image degradation?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)