HD1 vs SD miniDV or DVD camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old April 16th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #16
Regular Crew

what are those critters gonna sell for ?

check out the MPG I uploaded as well (its half way done uploading so give it 3-5 minutes to finish)

Chris Taylor
http://www.ners.com/
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I am running an AMD Athlon 64 3000 with a gig of ram

I dont know what I have installed exactly and I dont want to change that on this machine (it flawlessly interacts with the HD! mp4's and I dont want to ruin that !! I am having enough trouble making the laptop play nice)

I can confirm I installed the QT and RM Alternatives as well as the "XP Codec Pack" (all latest versions)

but I installed these same things on the laptop and have trouble (not playing but converting !!) so I must have "something" extra on the desktop

all the players play the mp4 the same ie just fine (media player classsic media player and Zoom player all play it fine) the VLC player also plays them just fine.

VLC Appears to play the mov ok with only a little jittering.

I dont really want to have to depend on one player - I need this to play fine in all players like the mp4 does otherwise I will have to get my users to download and install a seperate player - not good :-)

Chris Tayor
http://www.nerys.com/
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
So its definately making significant and detrimental changes to the file. ?? suggestions ?[/url]
I downloaded the mov and mp4 files, Chris. Then I used Yamb to extract just track1 (the video track) from each of them to avi files. Finally, I did a diff on the files. They are identical--as I suspected (at least based on theory).

So, although the change to a mov file may be detrimental, it's not significant! ;)

In all seriousness, you can find a player that works well with the mov (I tried VLC under Windows and it played each file perfectly) or remux the file with another tool. Yamb should work for this but it might require two steps.

I also tried MPC (a Directshow player) and it stuttered, just like you said, on playback of the mov using my Haali splitter. I could probably find a DSF (Directshow Filter) splitter that would work, however. In fact, the Nero splitter probably works well because the mov played flawlessly under Nero Showtime, which is also a Directshow player. I need more time to investigate this with a little tool from the MS SDK call "graphedit."

Your clips made me heartsick. I've had two major carreers in my life--computer engineering (my current and original carreer) and aviation. I was flying heavy DC-8 freighters for Emery Worldwide up until 9/11 and making those four contrails! The job market hasn't been the same in aviation since.
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:

I dont really want to have to depend on one player - I need this to play fine in all players like the mp4 does otherwise I will have to get my users to download and install a seperate player - not good :-)
I hear ya', Chris. I wish it were that easy. I capture mpeg2 transport streams from several sources--DVB PCI card, ATSC PCI card, cable STB firewire port, R5000 satellite PVR, 169time satellite PVR. Of course they can be in different formats too--480i, 720p, 1080i. I wish I could say that one player can play all my mpeg2 transport streams but, in fact, it requires two or three players and filter graphs to do a good job. All these format standards aren't "standard"--or at least they have a lot of leeway!

Update:

Yamb should solve your problem--though it doesn't seem to like to mux files on my mapped Linux/Samba drive. I copied the mov file to an XP local drive and remuxed it with Yamb. No more stutter with Haali and MPC! :)
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #20
Regular Crew

The problem is when I put clips up on my website telling users they need special drivers and special software is just not going to work well - Consistancy is critical.

the mp4 plays on every system I have tried so far. I guess I will just have to wait for a tool that will give me this.

significant or not the difference between the mp4 and the mov will be fatally significant to the end user who figures its just a broken file.

The Results from this camera are so impressive that I think its worth these early hassles and issues

Chris Taylor
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
the mp4 plays on every system I have tried so far. I guess I will just have to wait for a tool that will give me this.

significant or not the difference between the mp4 and the mov will be fatally significant to the end user who figures its just a broken file.

The mov file won't be a problem for Mac users ;) Actually, the mp4 files don't play that well on Macs with Quicktime--VLC or mplayer is a necessity with these HD-1 files on the Mac.

Try Yamb for remuxing back to mp4. I think it should work for you and I'm happy to help explore a solution. Gotta go to bed for now though!
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I greatly appreciate the help !! hopefully something like TMPGENC will come out for MP4 files :-)

Have a good night (I really need to goto bed as well)

Chris Taylor

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)