DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/)
-   -   A Low Light Trick (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/66415-low-light-trick.html)

Peter Solmssen May 1st, 2006 08:36 PM

A Low Light Trick

In really low light, when shooting stills with flash, there definitely are times when it is difficult to frame on the LCD. I thought about making a "sports finder" of some sort, but found a simpler solution.

I turn the LCD so it is facing up and parallel to the lens axis. (There is a seam on the front of the camera where the chrome of the LCD hinge meets the gray upper body. I line that up with the middle of the front edge of the LCD).

I then put the back edge of the LCD to my eye and sight along its top (the screen), making sure that I am seeing it quite flat, not tilted up or down. I then put the center of the desired picture right at the apex of the angle made by screen and body and shoot away, using the wide angle zoom position.

It sounds more complicated than it is, and works well without any extra equipment. For shooting objects that are close, some allowance for parallax is needed, but I found that a little practice is all that is required.

J. Stephen McDonald May 1st, 2006 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Solmssen
In really low light, when shooting stills with flash, there definitely are times when it is difficult to frame on the LCD. I thought about making a "sports finder" of some sort, but found a simpler solution.

I turn the LCD so it is facing up and parallel to the lens axis. (There is a seam on the front of the camera where the chrome of the LCD hinge meets the gray upper body. I line that up with the middle of the front edge of the LCD).

I then put the back edge of the LCD to my eye and sight along its top (the screen), making sure that I am seeing it quite flat, not tilted up or down. I then put the center of the desired picture right at the apex of the angle made by screen and body and shoot away, using the wide angle zoom position.

It sounds more complicated than it is, and works well without any extra equipment. For shooting objects that are close, some allowance for parallax is needed, but I found that a little practice is all that is required.

This prompts an idea------why not mount a gunsight on a camera?

Cole McDonald May 2nd, 2006 08:42 AM

or a laser pen for aiming?

Steven Davis May 2nd, 2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald

Very interesting idea.

Luis Otero May 2nd, 2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald

Be sure the beam does not "touch" any part of the "tallent's" eye. It will blind them if they look directly to the laser...

Luis

Peter Solmssen May 2nd, 2006 03:44 PM

I have in fact mounted an air rifle "laser" sight on a still camera with a 12x lens which worked well for pointing at wildlife.

I don't think it would work well with the HD1 because the flash would be open when you really need it and there isn't any other useful place to put it.

The point of my "trick" was that you really don't need any extras to solve the problem I was having.

Calin Brabandt May 8th, 2006 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis Otero
Be sure the beam does not "touch" any part of the "tallent's" eye. It will blind them if they look directly to the laser...

Luis

Haha--remides me of the lasers in an optics lab where I worked as a grad student. (These lasers really could blind you with a glance!)

In addition to the flashing red warning light above the door to the lab, which was turned on anytime the big lasers were powered up, we had a sign posted on the door:

"WARNING: Do not look directly at the laser beam with remaining good eye!"

;)