DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/)
-   -   HD1 power autonomy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/66851-hd1-power-autonomy.html)

Erick Hanoteau May 7th, 2006 12:55 PM

HD1 power autonomy

I would greatly appreciate more recording time autonomy.
I wonder if there are compatible batteries on the market providing greater power autonomy = capacity greater than 1200mAh?
Do I have to avoid purchasing non-Sanyo packs?
What kind of solution is recommended?

David Kennett May 7th, 2006 01:09 PM

Erick,

I doubt that you'll find anything, since the battery must fit inside the case. Sanyo is a premiere manufacturer of lithium batteries, and I imagine they already pretty well have optimized things. Just carry an extra battery!

If you need a long continuous run, just run the AC charger/adapter through the little adapter block. It might also be possible to use an external battery through the block.

Erick Hanoteau May 7th, 2006 01:42 PM

Thanks for your reply David. What do you mean by using an external battery through the block? Can you explain?
What kind of external charger may I use if I whish to charge 2 packs at the same time?

Bo Lorentzen May 7th, 2006 04:12 PM

Erick,

Amazon sells a stand alone charger for the HD1 battery, this will permit you to charge one battery while using another. Catch is that you still need to replace the battery in the camera when one run out.

David's suggestion is to instead plug in your camera charger to the camera while recording, you can power it either from a regular power wall outlet, or you can use one of the battery powered inverters, they cost you about $100 and will run the camera as an external battery pack.

I made a adaptor to make it possible to mount the camera on a tripod while running on external power, www.bophoto.com/HDV email me if you need one.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/panos

David Kennett May 8th, 2006 10:06 AM

Erick,

Bo said it pretty well. In case there is some confusion, the block I'm talking about the little black thing that plugs into the camera connector that normally connects to the cradle. Thus you can connect the AC unit to the camera without using the cradle.

I thought Sanyo was going to have an external charger available; maybe that's what Bo got.

Bo Lorentzen May 8th, 2006 10:45 AM

Erick,

No I did not get the external charger, but its about $50 from Amazon. I have been using the cable with the adaptor you refered to - this is why I made the tripod adaptor to make it possible to capture say 1 hour speaches in web-mode or the 640x480 mode.

This camera does wonderfully for web-media, only problem is that it looks completely silly to hook a external mic or radio-mic to a camera which is smaller than the wireless mic reciever. (smile) So if the next generation would include 1-2 wireless mic's along with a ambient sound mic.. all wrapped into the size of a pack of smokes.. well that would suit me very well.

Bo

Erick Hanoteau May 10th, 2006 03:04 PM

Bo,

I still need some clarification:

1. if I connect the AC unit to the camera through that little adapter, do I charge the battery at the same time or is it disconnected from the power circuit?

2. may I use a so-called external battery pack with very high capacity outputting 5v DC?

3. may I use a car charger with adequate specifications? (5v - 2A/h???)

Bo Lorentzen May 10th, 2006 03:40 PM

Erick

>>1. if I connect the AC unit to the camera through that little adapter, do I charge the battery at the same time or is it disconnected from the power circuit?

YES it will be charging just like when you plug the power cable straight into the little square adaptor which came with the camera.

2. may I use a so-called external battery pack with very high capacity outputting 5v DC?

YES.... "qualified yes" as long as it have what you define as "adequate specs". Don't go wiring it wrong and blame me. (smile) Personally I use a external powerpack with a 110 v outlet and plug my Sanyo charger into that.

3. may I use a car charger with adequate specifications? (5v - 2A/h???)

YES as long as you do the wiring so it will plug into the adaptor which shipped with your HD1 in the first place.

Basically the tripod adaptor is designed to permit attaching the camera to a tripod while leaving the power/usb adaptor "brick" in place and plugged into anyone of the cables you chose. this is why I moved it off-center so it would be easy access for cables.

Hope this helps.

Bo

Roman Oulko July 16th, 2006 10:51 PM

Guys is there a car charger for HD 1?

Bo Lorentzen July 16th, 2006 11:30 PM

I have not seen a "Sanyo" branded carcharger.

But there are several chargers which can be wired to the right output.. or you can plainly pickup a $20 inverter from PepBoys and plug your regular sanyo charger into it.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV - Guess what Windows Vista b2 actually works... Yehaa..!

Roman Oulko July 17th, 2006 12:11 AM

Thank you Bo but can you be more specific on inverter from a Pep Boys. Like voltage dc or ac and etc.

Bo Lorentzen July 17th, 2006 12:23 AM

Just ask the guy at PepBoy's the thing looks like a little club - plugs into your 12v dc outlet and delivers 110v in the form of a regular power plug which your regular charger for the camera will plug into.. inverters creates alternating current and are available in lots of forms and sizes. you pay more money for more capacity. but generally you only need a little one to pull a charger. (smile) - there is really nothing to be specific about, just go buy one and try it. if in doubt bring your HD1 charger and make sure the plug will fit in the outlet. ;-)

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV

Roman Oulko July 24th, 2006 03:59 PM

Has anyone seen a Solar charger that i can use for Sanyo HD 1?

Chris Taylor July 24th, 2006 08:53 PM

One Problem guys. 4gb is the max right now and thats 1 hour and so is the battery :-)

So whats the point of a battery that can run more than 1hr since you MUST at that time stop recording to at the minimum swap memory cards ?

Just curious!

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/

Bo Lorentzen July 24th, 2006 11:12 PM

Chris,

That is for HD 720P - however shooting a VGA 30 frames.. you can shoot a lot longer. I stuck mine on a minitripod and shot a conference session. dumped it to a DVD and it was stil as good as anyone can play on their home DVD in the first place. sooo for VGA recording for web or video... longer runtime is interesting.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV