any firmware ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I am here to post a thread about the possibility of changing the recorded files around to correct the bug. Maybe you could email them and ask them if the bug is before or after the compression stages, and how much it effects the compression, explained in definite technical terms of where it is in the process. If the bug is after compression, or doesn't effect compression at all, then a simple conversion program can change footage (as the bug should definitely effect the quality of trans-coding without it). It also means that it would be possible for all mpeg4 editing/trans-coding programs to recognise and change it around.

Re-edit:
Here it is:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...645#post495645
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Serrano
BAD NEWS. Sanyo WILL NOT release any Firmware for this camera.
This is outrageous! I purchased a legit (not gray market) HD-1 knowing about the diagonal line jaggies, which I find objectionable. Given that most digital cameras on the market today are updated with bug fixes, I trusted Sanyo to fix this bug and I did a "risk purchase" of the HD-1. If Sanyo doesn't fix our HD-1 cams, I won't be buying their products again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Serrano
Massive mails to Sanyo Japan!!!
Yes!
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #18
Regular Crew

There's a chance of HD-1 firmware updates!

I posted on this issue over at Steve's Digicams. It seems Sanyo is considering a program to enable HD-1 owners to update their firmware, though no specific bugfixes are yet available or announced.

I suggest that we write to Sanyo and request this plan be implemented and also request bugfixes for whatever problems you feel need to be addressed. For me, it's the jaggies! Personally, I think we should also mention that PC-based updates are preferable to sending the cams to a service center.

Send comments to:

SANYO FisherCompany

Attn: Service�Manager, Xacti products

21605 Plummer�StreetChatsworth, CA 91311

(Address provided by Steve's Digicams forum member and Sanyo representative.)

Last edited by Calin Brabandt; June 10th, 2006 at 04:30 PM. Reason: cut/paste crazy chars!
Old June 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #19
Tourist

email for sanyo Japan

Does anyone have an email for customer support for Sanyo Japan?
Also as a user of the HD1 I would like to send my concerns re this product.
Old June 11th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin Brabandt
I posted on this issue over at Steve's Digicams. It seems Sanyo is considering a program to enable HD-1 owners to update their firmware, though no specific bugfixes are yet available or announced.
Have you got a link to the Steve Digicams thread?

Don't forget problems with stepping in the auto functions and the other manual problems, and shadow and sky clipping. Maybe you could also mention some suggested improvements I mentioned on the other thread, like different low light/latitude binning, upping the data rate to whatever they can get (where ever it's 13 or 19 it all helps) and the other suggestions. (I hope Sanyo can redeem themselves).
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Found it, and I posted a summary of suggestions and problems over there for the Sanyo rep to forward on. Even if he does, it would be good to send your own, as they are more likely to listen to numbers.

Here it is:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...542165#p542165

I suggest we leave him in peace over there now.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #22
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69301

I wonder if the above qualifies as a bug. I am still rather curious. Either no one else notices them yet due to the way I test my camera for defects or my hd1 must be defected
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I don't know, but I put a link to your thread in that post at stevesdigicam as one of the proofs.

If the noise is individual pixels speckled the wrong colour, it could be gain noise problem causing problems with the debayering, but having not seen it, I can't say.
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Nope I am not concern about the noise color. I am more concern with how it is concentrated in some specific areas forming vertical lines
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
I don't know, but I put a link to your thread in that post at stevesdigicam as one of the proofs.

If the noise is individual pixels speckled the wrong colour, it could be gain noise problem causing problems with the debayering, but having not seen it, I can't say.
Hi, You did put a link? I am sorry but i don't see any replies so far. Perhaps you could point out exactly which thread you are refering to. Thanks
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #26
Inner Circle

To your bug thread (please note, that for some reason links to the same thread might have different formats).

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69301

It is hard to see your bug problem, maybe you should post a frame over there. It could be the same problem I described, as the gain pushes up the noise and it spikes across a column of pixels, but it could be something else entirely. If it is from bright light in the picture then it is more likely what I said, otherwise it might more likely be something else causing the lines.

If it is blooming causing the streaks and common to all these cameras, then it is just related to the level of sensor technology. Good sensors have anti-blooming circuits to suppress this, how much depends on how good the level of tech used (these circuits also negatively effect fill factor, which is the coverage of the sensor pad across the pixel).
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi,

I finally found a place to upload the clip and posted a small clip over there, let me know what you think. It's defnitely isnt blooming since blooming usually follows the object and it moves as you move the camera. In my case, it's always in the same area wherever I move the camera.
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #28
New Boot

Sanyo said :
"
Please remember my previous comments. For the US market, we are "looking" at allowing it and "may" make it available.

Also, the HD1 firmware since initial shipment is still the most current firmware.
"

posted by "sanyo" on steve's forum. I think, like wayne said, many units should be returned...and guys don't know these are bugs.

i still propose massive mail... !!! I've already sent 7 mails containing bugs description to differents adress of sanyo's support.
I hope they will react, on line.
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Hi Guys!

John Carlson has a new bug, purple lines coming into his low light footage. He is on a tight time line to return the camera (days). If some of you would like to got over there and help him verify it is just a bug with his camera, I'm sure he would be appreciated.

Testing your cameras in extreme low light for these vertical column lines is probably the best thing.

The thread is here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=496914
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Will there be a HD2, or HD1 manufacturing revision, in two months?

Guys, last night I realised something. Around a month ago Sanyo here told me that the camera wouldn't get here for, I think, three months. This was shocking, as it didn't make sense. It occurred to me, maybe they are waiting for something, a manufacturing revision with the bugs ironed out maybe, a 25fps UltraSHQ 9mb/s+ camera (please) even. But then they would still be up against at least one superior HD h264 camera, so maybe they might release a HD2.

On a 6 month release cycle, a big brother to the HD1, would make sense (with a much cheaper ironed out HD1 revision I can recommend to people). Even if I was Spielberg, I would still like a pocket second camera like this to carry around, so it is worth doing right.

I think this makes sense because, in my local city we have almost every major retail chain store, and not one of them sells Sanyo cameras, and I don't know of any store that does. This camera is the sort of thing that can be used to get Sanyo products back into shops, but in two months the first superior 720p H264 pocket camera will be available, ruining this retail advantage with out a competitive model (or they are waiting for ironed out model or 25fps).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)