any firmware ? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 16th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #31
New Boot

point of interest

posted on steve's forum:

"Posted: Thu Jun 15th, 2006 11:46 am

I've found that there is no problem when playing back by the camera itself. Even you zoom in the video, the quality of "\" lines is the same of the "/" lines, in the OLED screen.

The bug exists ONLY in software playback, all my tested softwares, including QuickTime, VLC, ffdshow.

So, it's possible a small program or filter software can fix the problem of the files recorded, before the firmware update is available."
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #32
Inner Circle

That's curious, it might indicate that the screen gets uncompressed video (though the zoom is going to have to have at least 4 times the resolution to come up on the smallest pixel, 16 times before you can easily see it on the small screen).

I think the fault is recorded by the camera. What do you see when you playback from the camera to HD screen (or TV with 4-16 times zoom)?
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I´ve just connected the camera to a HD projector throught component cable and the problem is still there.:-(
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Carlos,

Thank you for trying that, I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

Too bad, for one moment I was thinking that one could do straight playback and skip the problem... Oh Well. soo much for dreaming. (smile)

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Processing software to get rid of it should still be possible.

I've just noticed something interesting about the AVCHD camera format (18Mb/s h264) is that there is no 30p or 25p 720p, it goes from 24p straight to 50/60p. I think it more likely now that those modes will have 18mb/s. Should give pocket cams with out the quality problems of the Sanyo. I wonder if anybody over at the AVC threads have noticed this:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...02006070009078
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I kind of agree with Manu, I don't see the jagged edges when watching videos in my HDTV, just a hint of blurriness in the edges (but I have to try very hard).

In the computer screen however, is very evident.

I use a 55" projection TV and for playback a Showcenter 200 network media player. My guess is that there is some kind of interlacing that is "fixing" part of the problem, probably because the output of the showcenter is 1080i.
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #37
New Boot

Wayne, regarding the AVCHD standard: wouldn't 50/60P be better than 25/30P?

You can always throw out every other frame in post production to get a 25/30P product from the 50/60P stream, but the higher frame rate is there if you want smoother motion or to get a slow motion effect.
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Yes, it is just likely that these modes might get the full 18mb/s. 24p might be reserved for more expensive cameras.

Also dividing the 18mb/s into 60/50fps, leads to lower performance then 30/25fps. I think it is a bit too much, but as 24fps is the main worry for quality, maybe it will be alright if that can work at 24fps. I still prefer the 50mb/s intra frame pro version though.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #39
Regular Crew

So will the HD1A have corrected firmware ??
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #40
Regular Crew

After getting tired of all problems with my camera and frustration that I can’t return because it been more that 30 days and sending emails to Sanyo with no response. I have decided to go directly to Sanyo’s office in Chatsworth CA. Yesterday I went to them . I spoke with John I tried to explain and show him what problems I (we) have 1. Stabilization 2. Low light recording 3. Purple leaves instead of green and my dog purple in HD. He denied that problems exist with camera at all and they have not received any complains but he said that some cameras experiencing problem described here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...645#post495645 even though he saw purple by himself when he made a small video inside an office. I told him either fix those problems or take camera back. He said that he can’t fixed problems in my camera because there is nothing wrong with camera. He gave a phone number of Mr. Duarte I spoke with him today he said same thing there is no problem but I asked him to take look at my camera one more time and I will bring more footage he agreed . So, I will bring my camera with footage On Monday at Sanyo office and leave there and he will call me back with results. So if anyone has footage with problems give a file I try to transfer to my card and give it to him. oh yea and John told me that HD1A is almost same camera just more features
Thank you
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Roman, there are many threads here with reports of various (many) bugs, purple dog sounds like another one, and many sample clips that you could download. But if anybody has better, please send to Roman. Unless they were designed in Mpeg4 that way, there is no way it is not a bug, and that goes for a lot of things.

It would be interesting to find out how many readers, including the hidden ones, have found bugs? Would be suggested for all readers to report everything to Sanyo.
Old July 29th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #42
Major Player

Well done, Roman.
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #43
New Boot

Submission

Roman, I have two movies you might want to use. They're not my best examples of a defective HD1 I returned to Amazon (great place to purchase gear from, though), as those never made it past the early editing stage. But I've got two that show a split screen difference in exposure and artifactual bars of alternating exposure levels. I can also attest to the purple artifact as well, still present in my replacement HD1. Email me to let me know if you'd like to download them, and I'll send you the links.
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #44
New Boot

Split Screen Issue help GREATLY appreciated

seems like a minor issue but it is a very visible defect in recordings of lower light levels. If they told me it had this problem I wouldn't have bought the camera. I took a quick vid just now, the problem is noticible. IMO the room is well lit enough to take good video. Other times it is much worse. Here is the link

http://www.lanceandrachel.com/SANY0035.MP4

There is a definite vertical line about the middle of the screen, with the entire left side looking different from the right. You can minimize the effect some by messing with some of the settings however slight changes in light levels or background can make it stand out prominantly. I had hoped that it was a viewfinder issue but it shows up in the recorded video. It is not a memory card compatibility issue, the camera shows this problem with no card at all.

If you could talk to them and get some information from them about this I and others with this problem would be most grateful. Good luck and thanks.
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Hi Lance i just downloaded your file and transferred to my my camera.
thank you for footage

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)