DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/)
-   -   New Model Hd1a (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/71413-new-model-hd1a.html)

Peter Solmssen July 13th, 2006 12:27 PM

New Model Hd1a

Sanyo has announced a new model, HD1a, to be released in the US in September. I am still wading through crudely translated press releases, but the major changes seem to be a format intended for the video ipod, 16:9 stills (if that just means built in cropping, I'd rather do it myself later) and improved in camera editing. Nothing said so far about correcting bugs.

Addendum: I just found the English press release at : http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060713/lath017.html?.v=66 It mentions an LCD screen, rather than OLED. That's good news, as my OLED screen is already flaking.

Here's another press release, from Panasonic and Sony on plans for AVCHD (H.264) which may well become the major competition for the Sanyo HD1a: http://www.avchd-info.org/press/20060713.html

Graham Jones July 13th, 2006 01:36 PM

You obviously won't see the press release saying "design flaws such as the 'bad lense mech', 'jaggies' and 'flaking OLED' have been resolved!"

But I think that's the gist.

The differences the HD1a press release does refer to are either just marketing (a cropped 16:9 still image mode which is 3MP rather than 5MP? Come on!) or a modicum of imagination: upping the Web-HQ from 15 frames to 30 frames.

Carlos Barbino July 14th, 2006 12:08 AM

Too little too late?

As I have ranted about in a previous post, Sanyo is using buyers as Beta Testers with the current HD1. I'm sure this new model is the unit Sanyo meant to release in the first place.

However, by the time the HD1a hits the stores, so may the new AVCHD products from Panasonic and Friends. There's no doubt in my mind the AVCHD units will eat the HD1/HD1a for lunch and even have time to ask for a toothpick.

Look at two of the advantages of AVCHD:

-24Mbps (and this is with the much more efficient H.264!)
-1080/24p AND 720/60p

Per-Arne Ekfeldt July 14th, 2006 12:52 AM

I'm tired of postings about superior products in the glorious future. I care about my HD1 I got NOW and how I can use it to its best ability. There will always be new and improved products in the future, we deal with them when they exist.

Graham Jones July 14th, 2006 03:35 AM

You're right Per-Arne.

It's the advantage / risk that early adopters experience.

Isn't it great things are moving so fast? At the beginning of this century a domestic HD video camera was out of the question. Now, we find ourselves in the luxurious position of picking over the differences between two models by the same manufacturer priced under €1000! One can only imagine what it will be like by 2010! The HD1a will likely have been superseded many times, as you say Carlos.

In this ever-changing world of videography, one has to dip one's toe in the water intermittently and purchase items. I am just glad they are smaller and more powerful than in the past and having great fun dreaming about the future...

Bo Lorentzen July 14th, 2006 04:50 AM

Per-Arne,

Agree 100%.

Im very pleased with my camera...! and the fact that I have been able to capture 720P for months. if I had waited until a updated version in september.. well then I would not have used my camera this summer clearly.

Besides... with a little luck my camera will fail durring the next year and I can then get it replaced with a HD1a. (smile) Hey one gotta be optimistic about things.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV

Peter Solmssen July 14th, 2006 04:55 PM

I also agree. I have made a half dozen films with the HD1 that are notably better than what I was able to do with DV, that made me happy and brought joy to the people whose lives I recorded. By the time the better cameras come out, the children involved will have grown into another phase. As soon as something better comes along, I'll buy that one too.

I am particularly watching Panasonic. They have a very nice 3ccd that records to SD cards; all they have to do is upgrade it to AVCHD.

Carlos Barbino July 14th, 2006 10:59 PM

I am enjoying my HD1 right now. All's I's saying is that when the updated model (HD1a) comes could, so may the new AVCHD. When that happens, it will be hard for Sanyo to sell the HD1a when at least on paper, AVCHD is superior in all aspects.

These forums are for discussion. About the past, present future. If Men only worried about the present, then how can we prepare for the coming ice age and interstellar abominations and flourescent kittens?

Per-Arne Ekfeldt July 15th, 2006 01:10 PM

I think you all here prove how important mobility is for video. It doesn't matter if you got the latest 1080i-super-duper-cam from Sony if you do not actually take it with you and use it. My HD1, on the other hand, is always with me and I take tons of videos. The quality of the 720p videos are great and perfect for producing DVD's. Yes, its not perfect indoor but most action is outdoor anyway (except the bedroom but I'm not into that :). It feels awkward to take out a 1 kilo hollywood-monster-cam and start filming, but to use the HD1 is just fun for everyone and invites creativity.

Victor Ngai July 16th, 2006 04:33 AM

2.2-inch LCD display? not OLED

Wayne Morellini July 16th, 2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Jones Senior
You obviously won't see the press release saying "design flaws such as the 'bad lens mech', 'jaggies' and 'flaking OLED' have been resolved!"

But I think that's the gist.

The differences the HD1a press release does refer to are either just marketing (a cropped 16:9 still image mode which is 3MP rather than 5MP? Come on!) or a modicum of imagination: upping the Web-HQ from 15 frames to 30 frames.

Hmm, that would explain why Sanyo Australia is waiting to release it. So, is it 25p, or did they know about the bugs.

Now, the downside, no better compression rate, no 25p, LCD, instead of OEL (I thought that was cheaper and better, "flaking OEL", what's that, does it ever end with this camera) only $100 off, come on, and in September, not now, please, please, please, you have got to be joking. The reality (well my guess) fixed bugs (please) all additional announced stuff, maybe even 25p, and a much better Hd2 model at a more expensive price. Sanyo will release at $699, and then release HD2, and try to hold the HD1a price, before dropping it to, maybe, below $500, where it belongs, even with OEL, 25p and improvements (like 19mb/s data rate). If it had been now there was a possibility I would buy it instead of waiting for a descent AVCHD.

Future, nearly August, where 720p Samsung is scheduled to be released (using 720p chip). Samsung have signed to AVCHD, AVCHD has jumped to 24Mb/s (they listened) but is that a player or a camera AVCHD license. Sanyo needs cheaper better HD, now. I'm warming to AVCHD more and more.

Wayne Morellini July 16th, 2006 11:56 AM

Still f/3.5 aperture (1.2-1.6 would make a great improvement). But "noise reduction" is in the present model. Has anybody used it, the clips don't seem to show it?

I wish they would give uncompressed HDMI or component live?

Wayne Morellini July 17th, 2006 12:51 AM

Found a new mostly water proof C6, so maybe you will get a water proof HD1 eventually. Actually a fully diving water proof HD1 with larger aperture (low light) and true noise reduction, would be popular with a number of divers around here.

Forgot, new Sony AVCHD camera to be shown next week:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71571

Sorry for the negativity there, I just think it is hopeless having such a buggy camera out and then telling people a fixed version will be months away, and hassling about warranty, instead of improving the present cameras going on the market (when better cameras are coming soon, just poor taste).

Carlos Barbino July 17th, 2006 02:39 AM

Goodbye. Good Riddance.

AVCHD unit from Sony coming out?

Xmas in July! ( and I am not even christian!)

Hello Mr. Amazon? Hello? I would like to send back my Sanyo HD1.

Adios!!!

Graham Jones July 18th, 2006 10:31 AM

The Sony will be better - but useless to me because I can't live with moving parts anymore.