HD1 and 1.4x adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old July 25th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD1 and 1.4x adaptor

I am interested in this adaptor but don't want to gamble the $60 without knowing how well it works.

Has anyone shot any goof well lit day time video with this lens addition ? does it remain "crisp" edge to edge ? any distortion ?

Just ordered my replacement unit from amazon.com also grabbed the $40 external charger for it ! yeah :-)

Thanks!
Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Heavy distortion from what I read. There's a post reviewing it on this site.
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I remember that for the WIDE ANGLE adaptor causing high distortion (enough to make is utterly useless) but I am talking about the TELEPHOTO 1.4x adaptor

ie would give me 14x zoom

Chris Taylor
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello Chris,

Actually the wideangle works pretty well, the distortion is really only a issue when dealing with straight lines, I find Im comfortable leaving it on the camera almost permanent and use it as a "normal" lens.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My mistake, yes it was the wide angle I read about.

A thought regarding telephoto... I find my HD1 isn't really useful past about 8X zoom... it drifts in and out of focus, so I commonly use focus lock or manual options at this higher zoom setting. I've been assuming the 8X max on mine was a result of limited optics and stablization, but I'd love to be proven wrong. If 8X is about the max though, it limits the functionality of telephoto accessories.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Bo,

My house contains a few straight lines. ;) No, seriously. If straight lines are an issue, can you elaborate? I recall a picture of a pretty funky looking kitchen taken with the wide angle, and the echo of my howl of dissapointment could be heard across the world. I would love a wide angle for this unit, but the story on this forum convinced me otherwise. Have you samples or advice regarding this?
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

yeah that space time curverature would drive me nuts and hence why I am not even considering the wideangle adaptor.

as for beyond 8x. anything I plan to shoot past 8x is going to be infinity locked so it does not matter to me.

I am shooting rockets (keep and eye on my site www.naramlive.com starting this weekend !! should have some neat rocketry video from Phoenix Az at NARAM this year) sadly no onboard video. I can not afford 2 of these camera's and can not risk mine :-)

If anyone wants to donate one I will launch it and return it (in whatever condition it comes down in) hehe 99% chance of perfect recovery but that 1% is way to expensive for me :-)

For rockets the nature of it is that your FAR away so more zoom is always better.

Chris Taylor

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)