Final Cut Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old August 1st, 2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro

Forgive me if this has been discussed but what is the workflow for editing the Xacti HD1 with Final Cut Pro. I can import the .mp4 files into the Browser and play them unrendered in the Viewer, but as soon as I load them into the Timeline they need to be rendered before they can be played.

I tried using iMovie and it seems to work, but it also crashes, A LOT. Anyway, using iMovie is a comedown when you are used to FCP.

Again if this has been explained elsewhere, please point me there.

I took the camera on a vacation in Europe and got some great footage, which now I'm anxious to edit.

Jim B

----
The early bird may get the worm, but the second
mouse gets the cheese.
Steven Wright
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Babcock
Forgive me if this has been discussed but what is the workflow for editing the Xacti HD1 with Final Cut Pro. I can import the .mp4 files into the Browser and play them unrendered in the Viewer, but as soon as I load them into the Timeline they need to be rendered before they can be played.

I tried using iMovie and it seems to work, but it also crashes, A LOT. Anyway, using iMovie is a comedown when you are used to FCP.

Again if this has been explained elsewhere, please point me there.

I took the camera on a vacation in Europe and got some great footage, which now I'm anxious to edit.

Jim B

----
The early bird may get the worm, but the second
mouse gets the cheese.
Steven Wright
Jim,

I'm not having any crashes editing Xacti files, but since you have FCP, what you can do is to let iMovieHD import all of the files, save the project, go to the file in the finder and option-click to display inside of the package, the import all of the files from the media folder into the FCP. For FCP, you can select AIC preset for editing then you should be able to use the realtime editing. This is the same trick that Frederic Haubrich's AIC editing idea which was introduce when FCP wasn't directly supporting FX1.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have also had good luck editing HD1 footage in iMovie, then rendering in the same Apple Intermediate codec, which takes only slightly longer than the running time of the project. When I am entirely satisfied with the result, I convert in Quicktime to MP4 H.264. This takes a little while, but reduces the file size to about one seventh, without any noticeable loss of quality.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Getting there

Thanks for the help but I've got a few questions. When I import into iMovie, the .mp4 files become .dv files; about 3.1 times bigger. These appear to use the DV codec and import into standard FCP files, sort of. The video is native but the audio still needs to be rendered. When I open FCP using the 720p AIC codec, they have to be rendered as before with both audio and video.
So, is there any way of resetting iMovie to convert them to AIC files?

Jim B

---
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, and Cthulhu thinks you would make a tasty sandwich.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Babcock
This indicates that your sequence settings don't match the clip settings. Make sure your sequence matches the capture settings.

-gb-
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If you set iMovie project settings to 1280 x 720P HD, the HD1 files should be converted to Apple Intermediate Codec "little endian" when they are imported; I don't use FCP, but I should think these could then be imported there.
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, folks

I loaded into iMovie and then imported into FCP. As you suggested, it was just a matter of tweaking the import format so that they matched the AIC. Seems to be working fine now though I'll let you know if there is any residual wierdness in FCP.

Again, thanks

Jim B

---
Wherever you go, there you are. Your luggage; now that's a different story...

with apologies to Buckaroo Banzai
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Solmssen
If you set iMovie project settings to 1280 x 720P HD, the HD1 files should be converted to Apple Intermediate Codec "little endian" when they are imported; I don't use FCP, but I should think these could then be imported there.
That's the ticket.
Some examples here (along with other formats).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)