Question About HD1 TV connection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old September 9th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Question About HD1 TV connection

Hey guys. I'm glad I found this forum I've been eying the HD1 for a while now and after reading a few threads on here and downloading some sample vids you guys pushed me over the edge and I purchased the HD1. Its not here yet...I'm waiting patiently. I have one question. Is it possible to connect the camera to a TV and view whats being recorded (real time) on the TV instead of the LCD screen?

I need this function for a rpoject that I'm working on.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Paul
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No Paul, I think itīs not possible. The only way to get video from the HD1 is throught the SD card. No composite or component out while recording:-(
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #3
New Boot

That really sucks. This means I won't be able to use it for what I want....

:(
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #4
New Boot

Did anyone modify their HD1 such that the signal that goes to the LCD is put to an output port (ie composite video) and then can be plugged into a TV or external LCD? Is this even possible to do?

Paul
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

This modification was dicussed as a possible solution for some to the jaggies issue. I don't think it ever moved past concept stages.
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #6
New Boot

How would this fix the jagies?
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The idea was to port video before compression so it could be encoded by an alternate device, like a computer. It was thought that if this avoided the jaggies issue, it may serve a purpose for those times when recording was pre-planned (ie birthday party or child's concert). Though a few did try to find ways to export raw video, I don't believe any progress was made.
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for that explanation Chris. I find it unusual for a camera like that, not having a realtime video out. I use a pentax Optio series camera for my RC aerial photography and all of those have video out. I'll be using a downlink system that will allow me to see on the ground what the camera sees in the air for framing shots, that is why I would like to have the video out.

It seems like the majority of digital cameras have this port, why on earth would the LC1 not have it? Perhaps I should have waited with my purchase, but the videos Carlos posted pushed me over the edge and I bought one over the weekend. I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Paul
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I saw a portable component out, for a SD definition Sanyo I think, plugged into the bottom of a HD1. Does that yield a picture in record, still or stopped modes?

A $249 HDMI capture card, that people are looking at plugging a component adaptor into:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75102

If you can tap the internal circuit you might be able to get component or digital stream to this. You can use many codecs to re-compress.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)