HD1 to DVD Easily? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM   #1
New Boot

HD1 to DVD Easily?

I've read and read trying to find an answer because I didn't want to sound totally digitally challenged. No luck with my self help plan, so here's my story and question.

I use a Sanyo C5 right now for videos and stills on my quail hunting trips. It's great for one handed operation, light and easy to carry. I downloaded the files to my computer and made DVDs in that fashion, using supplied software. Then I discovered I could load the files directly from the camcorder into my Panasonic DVD hard drive recorder. It works really great and I can make a DVD easily, picking and choosing from the files saved on the hard drive. Although I do 99% of the "editing" in the camcorder, I can tune things up better if I wish to in the Panasonic recorder. I have no desire to do any other editing before making a DVD. So, what's my problem?

Well, after much study, I just ordered the Sanyo HD1, primarily to get the 10x zoom. I thought the HD might be nice to have also since I'll shortly be getting HDTVs. However, I'm starting to get the idea that I can't make a DVD using the above procedure, that is, in camera editing and downloading to the DVD writer, then simply makng DVDs. I keep reading that I have to change codes etc etc.

Will I have a problem with the HD? I like it simple and prefer not to do editing, changing etc in the computer. I suppose I might even have to shoot SD in the HD1 as a last resort. At least I'd still have the advantage of the 10X zoom.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

HD1 MP4 and No Firewire connection

Jack Brewton;

If I understand the approach you're using to transfer DV from your MiniDV Camcorder to your Panasonic DVD Hard Drive Recorder, I see no way that you can accomplish the same result with the Sanyo HD1. I assume that the connection between your Sanyo C5 and Panasonic recorder involves a FIREWIRE cable, right? Or, do you make the transfer directly from an SD Card to a reader built into the Panasonic?

The HD1 has no FIREWIRE output. Moreover, the file format of the HD1 is MP4 @ 1280x720 resolution. If your Panasonic DVD Hard Drive Recorder is like my Toshiba DVD Hard Drive Recorder, then the latter device accepts DV file format via FIREWIRE cable and converts it to MPEG2 (720x480 resolution).

SD file format on the HD1 is MPEG2 (I think) @ 320x240 resolution. Consequently, even if your Panasonic recorder contains an SD card reader, the SD file spec of the HD1 is a mismatch for standard DVD video recording.

The only way that I can think of to transfer a/v footage from the HD1 to a Firewire connected Hard Drive recorder is : 1. Edit the HD1 footage in Ulead VideoStudio 10 Plus; 2. Create a 720x480 DV file in the same program; 3. Output the resulting DV file to a Standard DV Camcorder; and lastly, interface the Standard DV Camcorder to your Panasonic Hard Drive recorder (via Firewire) and make the transfer.

There is no simple approach to resolve the problem you presented, unless I misunderstood what you're wanting to accomplish.

HDG
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM   #3
New Boot

Hawood,

Thanks for the response. Actually, although my DVD recorder has an SD card slot, it will not take the DVD clips from that source, only stills. I simply hook up the camcorder to the recorder with standard connectors (RCA connectors) S video and audio plugs. Then I just play the camcorder and it records the videos to the hard drive.

Since the Camcoder is mpeg 4, does this mean my recorder converts it to something else before storing it on the hard drive? If so, perhaps it would do the same with the HD videos. I guess the only way is to try it and see what happens.

Jack
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Lucky you!

Jack;

Lucky you! Since you're transferring a/v via analog method (composite, or Super VHS), you're good to go with the HD1 and your Panasonic Hard Drive Recorder. You will have to make this connection with your HD1 powered and connected from the base unit, rather than dismounted. You likewise, of course, can play back your HD1 video through composite/Super VHS inputs on front of your your TV.

If you're happy with analog video from your SD camcorder, then you should be even happier with the same from your HD1 camcorder. That said, the HD1 requires careful attention to setting white balance, perhaps Iris (Aperture), and/or shutter, in order to obtain optimal results.

Good luck with your hookup, etc.

HDG
Old October 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Also you dont have to use the base (though beware of battery life) that little itty bitty power dongle it comes with will also connect to the AV cables if I am not mistaken ?? ie no base needed though its a good idea so you get a charge up while your encoding.

if your DVR has Component inputs (doubtful) use those for better quality.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)