the defective jaggies MP4 Encoder, I canīt stand it... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old October 14th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

the defective jaggies MP4 Encoder, I canīt stand it...

Hi All,
is there any fix coming for the big jaggies problem ?
When will Sanyo finally fix it ?

I would really love to buy this camera, but I can NOT stand
the left diagonal jaggies problem !

Hmm, the other HD cam I would buy is the Canon HV-10
but it is more expensive and has only Interlace output,
but its picture quality is very good !
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Jaggies can be reduced

First: The jaggies are not a bug, as many people claim. They are a design deficiency. It's not like they " forgot to see the problem ".

I have found that using the TIsophote filter within a avisynth script takes out most of the jaggies. This fix is for users comfortable with scripting and are familiar with image processing terminology.

In all, I'm pretty happy with the little HD1. Much better video than from other pocket point and shoot cameras as of Oct 2006.
-L
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Les, are you talking about the malformed macro blocks that seem messed up and rotated along strong diagonal edges in one direction, or the minor jaggies of aliasing that you get with poorer cameras? The former is something that is just alien to the image, the latter is more of a deficiency as you describe (even the way they bin the sensor to the lower resolutions).

I wonder when we will hear about the next model, from my discussion (other thread) with a Sanyo rep, he seemed to expect something in 4 months or so. I think that this is really a camera for the consumer that doesn't mind it's faults. It should have had 1.4 or faster aperture (low light) 18mb/s mode for dual layer DVD and HD disk formats and better binning.

As it is, to compete with upcoming 24mb/s AVCHD cameras, you would need something like the equivalent of 35mb/s Mpeg4 churned to a internal hard disk (which we are unlikely to get). But, as it is, in future they probably should aim for the maximum that next gen HD disks can do (we can't ask for more) and HDMI 1.3 live output for computer capture. Extended latitude (multislope) and lower noise, are two of the biggies for great pictures out of mega pixel cameras. there are a handful of cmos sensor manufacturers currently offering this, I hope they can go for that and restore their standing.

As it is, if they can do a firmware fix up for that diagonal macro bug, do better noise/debayering/binning/aliasing, and give us as high data rate as possible, I could recommend the camera as a better camera.
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't think the jaggies are a big problem:

The "jaggies" are very evident when you watch the video in your computer and you freeze the frame. But that's not how I watch home-videos, I use a Network Media Player to stream the video into my HDTV, and under this condition the jaggies disappear.

The size is THE relevant factor with this camera, I know I have shot more video with this camera in the first 3 month than I ever shot with all my previous video cameras in all my lifetime. The reason is the size of the camera and on top of that the quality is far better than DV.

I guess the main factor for your decision is what are you going to do with your camera. If you want to use it in a business environment and you are just looking for inexpensive HD...look somewhere else. If you want to capture your family and your kids growing to watch them later in your life with reasonable image quality .... then what are you waiting?
Old October 20th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The normal jaggies are bad taste, but this macro thing sticks out much more easily (but only in some shoots, with the right hard diagonal edges).
Old November 13th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Dit
First: The jaggies are not a bug, as many people claim. They are a design deficiency. It's not like they " forgot to see the problem ".

I have found that using the TIsophote filter within a avisynth script takes out most of the jaggies. This fix is for users comfortable with scripting and are familiar with image processing terminology.

In all, I'm pretty happy with the little HD1. Much better video than from other pocket point and shoot cameras as of Oct 2006.
-L

Hi Les,
do you mean this ?

http://www.missouri.edu/~kes25c/

and this :
http://neuron2.net/library/LSImageReconstruction.pdf

Do you know, if such a filter also exists directly for Virtualdub ?

I have found out via a newer ATI graphics card driver,
that if I scale the 1280x720 screen size to my
1400x1050 display Fullscreen size, the jaggies are a bit
filtered out, so they are a bit less visible, but I still see them
of course... You automatically look for them in each scene,
so it would be much better, if Sanyo will soon
provide a firmware update.
This is still pretty visible and covers fine details into this
"jaggies noise" so the fine details will be lost... too bad...

Also the conversion process with the above filter takes probably
pretty long to compute, if you want filter one hour of footage
from each shooting...

Maybe you can post an example of some footage,
"before and after" and upload it to www.rapidshare.de
or simular storage spaces, so we can have a look at
this filter output and compare it ?
Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:16 AM   #7
Tourist

Hi Les,
could you please tell me any info on parameters you are using with the TIsophote filter??
Thank you

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)