hd1a and final cut pro not working together. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM   #16
New Boot

Scott- have you tried changing the sequence settings (not the project settings, which wouldn't have MPEG-4 as an option). I went into the FCE manual, and the sequence settings window in FCE has a pulldown for compressor, and MPEG-4 is supported in Quicktime, where FCE gets its choice of codecs from. Just guessing here, as I don't have a copy of FCE in front of me.
Old December 24th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #17
New Boot

Yeah tried changing it there too. You can change things like the Pixel Aspect and Field Dominance, right clicking there gives you a drop down selection list but sadly the Compressor has no equivalent (it just says "No shortcuts", see the two attachments).

If there is a way to get FCE to work with MPEG4 I would love to figure it out tho :) It's quite depressing considering that iMovie can work with MPEG4 files without having to transcode to edit as can FCP, so it's a little unfair IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
hd1a and final cut pro not working together.-picture-3.png  
Attached Images

Old December 24th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Weston
Yeah tried changing it there too. You can change things like the Pixel Aspect and Field Dominance, right clicking there gives you a drop down selection list but sadly the Compressor has no equivalent (it just says "No shortcuts", see the two attachments).

If there is a way to get FCE to work with MPEG4 I would love to figure it out tho :) It's quite depressing considering that iMovie can work with MPEG4 files without having to transcode to edit as can FCP, so it's a little unfair IMHO.
How frustrating. Perhaps they will unlock this in the future, with the growing popularity of hard drive or memory cameras.
Old December 24th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #19
New Boot

Well I have sent them through a feature request for this, maybe if enough FCE owners do that we'll get it :)
Old December 25th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #20

I've decided my next computer upgrade will be a Macintosh.

But I don't think I'll be able to afford Final Cut Pro.

So I'm looking at Final Cut Express.

I agree that MPEG-4 support would be nice in that program.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net
Old December 26th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I have a Mac Mini dual core attached to my HDTV. I import Sanyo files with a card reader, then import to iMovie, which converts the files to Apple Intermediate HD 1280 x 720P. This doesn't take long, and permits cutting on the frame. I am used to a professional NLE (Vegas) but have found that I can pretty much do what I need in iMovie. I then render in the Apple codec or in Quicktime H.264, which looks just about as good and takes one tenth of the storage space.

If I felt the need for FCP, I imagine I could just drag the files to the timeline and export to FCP. Rendering seems to take just a little bit longer than real time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)