Anybody want to sell a Sanyo HD1/a camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old November 10th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Anybody want to sell a Sanyo HD1/a camera?

I am interested in buying a HD1a fully functional with all the items that comes with it new, and in good condition. I might be interested in a black screen HD1 to experiment with, at a very cheap price (but I am still thinking about that one).

I would like a model that has selectable (in the menu) PAL output through component and AV. I prefer one in Australia if possible.

The price of the HD1a continues to drop (below $500 now) and I suspect more new cameras maybe coming soon, and I am planning on getting another better camera. But the HD1/a is still nice as an extra pocket camera until something better comes out (like the Samsung SC-HDX15 true 720p60 H264 next year). So I am looking for a low price.

If anybody is interested please contact me through the my forum email link.

Though, if anybody hears news of a better progressive camera coming out soon, like the Samsung, HD2, HD1b, or whatever, please feel free to jump in and save me with a post about it.

Thanks

Wayne.

P.S:

I have to remark about something I have seen in the footage, the HD1 seems to have less noise. This might be due to variances between batches of components, but a camera with less noise is preferable.
Old November 11th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

reading your post, it sounds like you have none of the HD1 models...but weren't you part of the first forumers here to have it ? even posting great footage at the beginning ?

what happenned to your fisrt units of HD1 ?
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

No, I was among the first to examine footage. I now believe that it is possible to produce footage free from many of the problems (though probably not diagonal block problem).

In the last day I have done some investigation, and have learned that significantly better cameras are coming in the new year, and significantly cheaper cameras that will probably be as good in ways.

Separately, I also asked at a local dealer and was told that Panasonic was to release a series of Hard drive HD cameras next year, and that JVC might have one by Christmas (but the guy was a bit confusing, maybe he meant JVC would have the series of Hard drive cameras).

So, I am still interested at the right price, and I am not against buying a camera from overseas (as I understand that may have PAL output selectable in menu).
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

ok, interesting

besides the samsung that you quoted before, what are the other model , soon to be released that you have in mind ?

cause the Samsung SC-HDX15 (which is already out, but i understood you mentionned an improved model) shows at a price of 1600-1800 USD

So for me this is not competition for the sanyo

and when i think of a camcorder that could threaten the HD1, i think in term of price but also (and above all) of portability

i'm not so sure the new camcorders announced in the different shows earlier this year could fit in a pocket...

but all in all i'm still in a dilemna : should i buy the Hd1 with the known bugs...so i could use it right away for my christmas vacations and get close-to-HD footage ?

Or should i keep on using my decent Sony M1 Camcorder, and wait till 2007 for the new and cheaper (hopefully) models to come out ?

and 2007...is it gonna be february-march or october...

true dilemna indeed...
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I mentioned the Samsung off of information I got from an Samsung Rep a few months back. A price of $1400, or even less, was mentioned some time back, but it didn't come, and what price it will is a mystery.

The other cameras, some cameras, sometime in the future, no details I can share. My local dealer mentioned a JVC maybe this year. And there is that Panasonic AVCHD camera mid December (small, but not pocketable like the HD1a).

At $500US, if you are plush, buy the HD1a now, buy a second camera latter. It is only because of Christmas break period I consider the Sanyo now.

Just remember with these things plans changed, for instance JVC showed off an HD Everio to dealers over a year ago, and told them that they expected it by Christmas last year. We are probably goign to see another model instead. But plan has changed for all cameras mentioned already, so, hopefully, this time they are coming, and Ipod AV, large screen 8mp displays, cheap good 3D Apple laptops, and anti-gravity drives ;) and so on.
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I think hd1a is now at the right price point for what it offers. It's interesting that how other hd-palmcorders hasn't come out as scheduled except for sanyo's. Now it's been out for almost a year that the price has dropped. Not clear when other similar and better cams in this form factor are coming out and for how much. Probably not sub $500 anyway. I think it's pretty safe to go with hd1a as of november 2006. I know I am.
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

For Christmas, there is no other $500 HD way to go.
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

ok thanx guys for the input !
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #9
New Boot

I'd like to buy a new Sanyo HD1a US model with warranty. Does anyone know of a better source than Amazon? They have precious few user reviews on this model,...but they are all good.

If anyone is using this camcorder extensively, I'd like to hear from them, how they like it in general and specifically how the autofocus works when the subject is moving toward you at good speed,.....i.e. a dog retrieving.

I'm also interested in a couple of 2GB cards if you have any recommendations.

Thanks friends!
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I've been on ebay trying to locate HD1/a s, and 7710.92300/9500 smart phones, and it is pretty daunting, I am getting put off of buying at ebay. There are not many second hand HD1/As, and people are paying something like within $100 of new HD1a price (on ebay) for Sanyo HD cameras. Even for camera with black screen, went for something over $300. Mad.

There is a lot of dodgy stuff going on too. Low priced short term listings of new models, that are almost identical in layout from different users that have short histories of a handful of bids. There is one listing (same layout) that keeps turning up under different names and getting withdrawn. Claims it is buy it now sale, but is not, asks for off list contact, and offers it at bargain that is near new price. It is amazing that they can keep doing and ebay doesn't stop it.

Ebay really needs to have a scheme where people can register their verifiable address details and be given a status symbol, and winners of bids receive these details which they can use in disputes. How can this be done verifiably is another issue. Another thing is they need to have compulsory fields that list wherever an item is fully working, or how much it is not fully working, another likewise for how undamaged the item is, and another as to wherever it contains all items that normally comes with it new, and listings of everything that comes with it, and everything that doesn't. And they should be made to stick to it, not "As Is", but only "As Is" stated, or better. Also for a fields of precisely what it is (like those dummy mobile phones) and anything that might be mistaken. The present structure tries some of this, but is not the best. It is too easy for advertisers to hide all these details in heaps of colourfully test and graphics, which take a lot of time to scan through and keep a track of with multiple listings.

Tale of the story, if anybody is considering buying secondhand (or new) on ebay, beware of the sharks.
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brewton
I'd like to buy a new Sanyo HD1a US model with warranty. Does anyone know of a better source than Amazon? They have precious few user reviews on this model,...but they are all good.
Thanks friends!

Jack,

If you go to the price search engine on stevesdigicams, and camcorderinfo.com, and onto ebay, you will find many stores, how many are good is another thing. But BH photos sells them too I believe, and they are a sponsor of this site (so looking through the sponsors pages here is another thing).

Something I must worn purchases about, is the issue of grey marketing and component quality.

I will use the computer industry as an example. If a batch of computer equipment is of less quality, or has an higher than normal defect ratio, they can be sold at discount through irregular distributors. The problem is that when they come to retail, any price can be set for these items, even full price, it does not necessarily indicate the quality. As well, how do you tell if it is from one of these batches, or what was the problem with the batch. It might even be sold without warranty at a discount, where the reseller is expected to handle there own warranty. This is the world we live in. I do not know the situation with the HD1s though, but bear this grey market practice in mind. We have not had a proper comparison of the quality differences between our cameras, to see if the noise level, and other picture qualities are fairly consistent.

Another thing to consider about user reviews, is give a a late teen a Ferrari with worn engine and suspension and he will still think it is great compared to his secondhand Hyundai. So you can't trust reviews in the hands of people that are easily impressed and have not spent the time to know what to look for.
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #12
New Boot

I just wanted to plug Amazon for anyone looking to buy the HD1A. I don't work for them, and have no connection other than I am a satisfied customer. Amazon just dropped their price on the HD1A to $499, and if you order today, you can get free shipping guaranteed to arrive by Dec. 22. I have had my HD1A for a couple of months, and at $500, I don't think there is another camcorder anywhere near it in terms of its combination of features and size. It's not perfect, but I have gotten a lot of use out of it.

In support of Amazon, I originally purchased an HD1 from Amazon. It developed the black screen defect after about 6 months. I contacted Amazon, and they gave me a complete refund on it due to the defect (even paying for return shipping), and I subsequently ordered the HD1A. I am very pleased with their customer service, and they have definitely earned my business.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)