Why MP4? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Tourist

Why MP4?

Why is it that video camera that record to a card or digital camera's that have video clip capabilities use .mov or MP4 when you can't use common editing programs to edit them? I have the sanyo HD1A and it looks like I will have to buy Video Studio 10 at $100 to do any editing. What I really want to use is Windows Movie Maker ll... is there a way to use MMll?

Last edited by Dave Bryant; December 22nd, 2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old December 24th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There are simple conversion tools. I personally use mp4cam2avi and like it because conversion is lossless.

http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/

If you are producing your movies in MovieMaker or similar entry level software, be sure to save originals. This will allow you to rework the video in the future when your skills are honed and your software more robust.
Old December 25th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #3
Tourist

MPG4 software

What software is available that will edit straight from MPG4 (besides the $100 Ulead Video Studio 10)?
Old December 30th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #4
New Boot

Buy yourself a mac and use Imovie HD... :)
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Serif MoviePlus 5
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

iMovie does edit Sanyo clips very well (I use it a lot more than the more expensive NLEs I also own), but it doesn't edit MP4 directly. It converts it to Apple Intermediate Codec, which allows frame accurate cutting. If you render it directly, the resulting files are very large, but you can also choose to render in MP4 H.264, which takes a long time, but results in a good looking file of one tenth the size.
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have about 35 gigs of Sanyo HD1A footage shot in DV mode. I opened and converted it in a DV mode iMovie and then transfered it to Final Cut Pro using the DV/DVPRO preset. Video is fine but the audio still needs to be re-rendered. Something about 32 vs. 16 bit audio. Any suggestions?
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #8
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Nowicki
Buy yourself a mac and use Imovie HD... :)
I month ago I got the HD1a and a MacBook. They work well together, but I wonder why Imovie HD edits MPEG SD @ 640x480 directly, but the MPEG HD files @ 1280x720 need to be converted to the Apple intermediate format. This takes time and space on the HDD.

Has anyone got a workflow, where the conversion is kept to minimum and the resulting files are as small as the original MPEG4 files and can be worked on in Imovie HD? Or an explanation why this is not possible ...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)