HD1a/2 As In-Car Camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Jim, I made a mount with a piece of square aluminum tubing that attaches to where the passenger headrest goes in my 350Z (similar to this http://www.filmtools.com/cruisecam1.html). I have two mounts on it, one for front, one for back. When I get I chance I will take a picture of it. For your Porsche you might try one of the various suction mounts.

Yes, the focus was off. I had it set on the 9-AF, and I think the S-AT (spot) might work better.

Is that your video on rennlist? IMO the HV20 does not like vibration. I tried mine a few times and the footage was never that good. The Sanyo HD1000 seems to work much better.
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #17
Regular Crew

.......No - not my video; young fellow from Chicago. I'm not that creative either - even if it's a copy of a well worn theme.

I did buy the same suction mount he used from Film Tools. I plan on using one on a rowing shell or kitesurfing kiteboard.

Jim
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Here are some clips with the HD1000 on two different mounts.

http://www.speedandmotion.com/pages/...est/index.html

My partner just picked up two mounts from Film Tools and he says they are great.
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I like those - I especially like how the mind fools oneself with the sensation of speed - cam low on the deck - when the lack of wind noise tells you otherwise. (I can only imagine what the Street Luge guys feel, eh?!)

j i m
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks. I think the thing to do is to use an external mic wiith a long cable and put it inside the car or behind where the wind noise won't be an issue.
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:43 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey Duane,

Were those Sanyo HD1000 videos shot at 30fps or 60fps? Also, was the EIS on or off?

- Frank.
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Genus View Post
Hey Duane,

Were those Sanyo HD1000 videos shot at 30fps or 60fps? Also, was the EIS on or off?

- Frank.
I used the HD-HR setting, 1280x720 60p with EIS on.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Tried something different. Used the HD1000 on a suction mount and put it on the back hatch of my 350Z. I then used an external mic and attached it the the rear bumper just above the license plate. I think it did a good job cutting down wind noise there. But the HD1000 still picked up a good deal of vibration.

http://www.speedandmotion.com/pages/...sanyorear.html
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Here is a good comparison of the Sanyo HD1000 and the Canon VH20.

http://www.speedandmotion.com/pages/...otheraces.html

The Canon is the forward facing camera and the Sanyo is the rear (the side facing camera is a Panasonic GS250).
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I have found most of the MPEG recorders a bit soft when subjected to footage that has a bit of shake. Currently I am using the nNovia recorders which use the DV codec for SD footage. The Chasecam recorder is very good for a MPEG recorder. They have a very short GOP and handle rapid changes much better.

You can see the in-car stuff we did for the 2007 Onelap here:
http://2007oloa.blip.tv/?sort=date;v...nsfw=dc;page=1
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Chris, very nice footage.

The nNovia systems look very nice buy not cheap. How do they handle the vibrations from a car with the hard drives?

How do you like the Chasecam recorder? Which camera did you use with it?
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Steiner View Post
Chris, very nice footage.

The nNovia systems look very nice buy not cheap. How do they handle the vibrations from a car with the hard drives?

How do you like the Chasecam recorder? Which camera did you use with it?
Thanks Duane,

The nNovia recorders with the standard hard drives have limitations with vibration. The solid state mediapacs work fine. Less recording time and much higher cost though. I've found that a padded bag strapped down in the car is enough to get good results with the hard drives in everything but a seriously modified Viper or purpose build race cars. Those take more effort but we get most of those to work too. I have one solid state mediapac for that special occasion when the spinning drives just won't work. I've not found a time when the solid state pac didn't work EXCEPT for the one car that could brake so hard that the pac would actually dislodge from the recorder. Now that was serious Gs. A piece of foam kept it in place on the next try. I've been able to keep the cameras on the cars fine at over 175mph. The biggest problem is not damaging the body work of the car with the suction cups.

I did like the chasecam recorder. Its VERY small and the quality was pretty good. Not as good as the nNovia recorders but the price for the quality is VERY good for the Chasecam DVR.

I'm using the Viosport Adventurecam3 cameras. I've considered moving to the POV1 from Viosport but I'm waiting to see a HD setup that I can put on the car. I was checking out all the small stuff at NAB and the prices are still too high for my budget. This video seems to be good enough for SD network broadcast. The days of SD are numbered though. I hope I can afford it by the time its mandatory for me.

If I'm shooting from inside the car itself I sometimes use the Sony HC3 with the wide angle lens recording to the nNovia DVR. I try hard to not deal with tape these days but thats a conversation for another thread.
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post

I'm using the Viosport Adventurecam3 cameras. I've considered moving to the POV1 from Viosport but I'm waiting to see a HD setup that I can put on the car. I was checking out all the small stuff at NAB and the prices are still too high for my budget. This video seems to be good enough for SD network broadcast. The days of SD are numbered though. I hope I can afford it by the time its mandatory for me.
Chris, I just ordered the POV.1 system and will give it a try. The set up looks very good and will be easy to move from car to car. I do hope they come out with one in HD.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I have the same hope as well. Based on what I've seen at NAB the HD stuff in that form factor is going to stay very expensive for a while. :(

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)