HD1a/2 As In-Car Camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old January 21st, 2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD1a/2 As In-Car Camera?

Looking to possibly purchase a used HD1a, or perhaps a new HD2 when they are released for use as an in-car camera.

It would be mounted in a rally car, so lots of vibration and action, the other cam I am looking at is the HV10.

There was a clip posted in this forum a while back of a HD1 mounted in an airplane, looking out of the side of the cockpit, it seemed to look very nice.

My concern is the Sayno's ability to deal with vibration and fast moving action without breaking up.

Certainly it would be better quality than the 520 line lipstick cameras I would usually use?
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

This interests me for a normal car, and docos. There was footage on an BMX dirt bike here, pretty woeful. You would need to totally isolate from vibration, and then the low frame rate and low bit rate/long gop is going to make an lot of frames look really fuzzy (the GOP frames will look alright).

Samsung had announced an H264 17mb/s 720p60 camera that could have been a lot better (with all the vibration isolation) that got delayed and disappeared. I suspect that there will be a number of such cameras this year.

The big problem, apart from vibration, is that most of these cameras use inter-fame compression like the Canon. Unless you have a very high bitrate intra-frame compression will be prone to not enough bit rate to do the frames in between the Gops. What is best is a Intra frame compressed camera that compresses the frames separately, like the HVX200 (or the h264 replacement) but big expensive and I doubt they would like the vibration.

So, the Canon might be the best bet, until somebody starts releasing a descent H264 camera with at least 18mb/s 720p
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Matt,

A number of people have experienced a malfunction where the display works and screen data shows, but no image is present. I expect this malfunction would be likely to happen to you if vibration was not effectively managed as Wayne suggests. With most cameras, you could create your mount and test to see the vibration in the video, adjusting your mount until you are satisfied. I don't know that the HD1 would survive the process. If you do choose an HD1, I would recommend you find an effective test for the mount that controls your risk factor.
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Tourist

Lipstick cam, high quality

Hey, a friend of mine recently used a high quality lipstick cam for a production shoot that he got from a company called jonescam. He said that it worked well and produced DVD quality video. Aparently the LX system from that company has a small camera head (about the size of lipstick) that connects to a CCU (about the size of a deck of cards) and records video to a portable DVR. He said that it is also capable of white balance and manual focus. If you want more quality than 520 lines of res., then these guys might be worth a look.

www.jonescam.tv
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually I've seen a sample clip by someone who strapped a HD1 to his mountain bike somewhere on the web. I just can't find it anymore. Video quality actually wasn't that bad.

Don't know how long a HD1 will last in those conditions though.
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Kaku was the person doing it, and he posted links in one thread here which you can search for. He was supposed to be doing an review of an new AVCHD camera by now, but have not heard back from him.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I just recently used my hd1 in a variety of car mount situations. It performed spectacularly. I chickened out when it came to using the HVX so I went with the little guy. The best thing about this small cam is it's low mass. A relatively lightweight car-mount will do a great job. In one shot you can see the back tire going berzerk but the cam is locked on the car with no discernible vibration. The fact that it has few moving parts is also a bonus. Good Luck.
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
Kaku was the person doing it, and he posted links in one thread here which you can search for. He was supposed to be doing an review of an new AVCHD camera by now, but have not heard back from him.
Here is the Kaku Ito Mountain bike footage using a Sanyo Xacti HD1
http://xtream.ne.jp/kakugyo/affordab...shcamlarge.mov
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM   #9
Trustee

Here you go.
http://www.onebikeguy.com/Kakugyo/HD...s/onboard.html

This is mounted on my air suspended mountainbike, so I would say on a car, the small vibration probably won't happen as much as this clip.

Last edited by Kaku Ito; November 3rd, 2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I had a Canon HV20 and was never happy with the footage when mounted in my 350Z. I just got a Sanyo HD1000 and so far it looks like it will do a better job. Also have the Aiptk A-HD and for the money it is decent. Here is a short clip with a download for the HD version: http://sanyoxactiusers.com/forum/index.php?topic=12.0
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #11
Major Player

http://www.cruisecam.com/mounts.html

for under 100 bucks, you can't beat this product. I know a couple of news photogs who use this in their vehicles while they drive out to stories and such, to catch responding emergency vehicles and what not, and oh yeah, stupid drivers =-D
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wells View Post
Hi Matt,

A number of people have experienced a malfunction where the display works and screen data shows, but no image is present. I expect this malfunction would be likely to happen to you if vibration was not effectively managed as Wayne suggests. With most cameras, you could create your mount and test to see the vibration in the video, adjusting your mount until you are satisfied. I don't know that the HD1 would survive the process. If you do choose an HD1, I would recommend you find an effective test for the mount that controls your risk factor.
This is a mechanical problem with the shutter that closes over the sensor when the camera is powered off and, certainly on earlier versions, can get sticky due to internal oil residue. It's happened on mine once, when I did not use it for some months, and I fixed it with a lightish bang with my hand on the right hand side while powering it up... Rally cars get lots of vibration which will probably help to keep it unstuck!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

This isn't HD ..but I didn't get much visible vibrations ('least I didn't think so..) by mounting a cam on my kiteboard:

http://wetstuff.com/movie/clips_on_edge.htm

Be advised: it's pretty boooring couple of minutes to people who don't kite.
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Video from a drive I did a few weeks ago.

http://www.speedandmotion.com/pages/...ive021708.html

The in car footage is from the Sanyo HD1000. Have to say it did a good job. Much better then the Canon HV20. And the built in mic was decent.
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Duane: What sort of mount did you use? ...gave me an idea to make one that velcro-wraps the head rest like I do the center tube on a kitesurfing kite. ..won't work on a Porsche as they use those stoopid-looking one-piece seats.

I also noticed that the focus seemed to be on the base of windshield/wipers, no? Is there a way to focus on the car in front of you?

Here's a car vid that I've been pimping ..maybe I like the music, as I've been flamed for my taste in video?!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=409844

j i m

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)