A $30 HD1 performance boost at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old February 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A $30 HD1 performance boost

I recently changed the lights in my house from incandescent to flourescent cool white. There is a company producing a small format bulb equal in size to a standard lightbulb. My 100 watt equivilent is as small as a 40 watt incandescent. As a result, the fixtures rated for 40 watt bulbs now contain 23 watt ones with 4 times the light output. The switch cost me $7 per room.

I have noticed that video from the HD1 now looks much more natural, less grainy, and crisper. The focus hunt still happens. I think there may be more to the focus hunt issue than sheer quantity of light.

Please note that there are different types of flourescents. I made the mistake of purchasing a pack of standard mini-flourescents instead of cool-whites. The difference was astounding. Only the cool whites looked natural. Also, note that there are mini 23 watt bulbs (got mine from Wallmart), but most still seem to be large. It makes a difference because the smaller bulbs fit in anything whereas the larger ones don't.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris, good idea, I have overhead fluorescent tubes, using tri-color, amazingly bright, but I find fluorescents affect sleep (the eye is stimulated by daylight like light (more bluish) that keeps us awake, at dusk the color changes and theoretically we get sleepy by campfire at night).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)