Anyone using a HD1/HD2 as an action POV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using a HD1/HD2 as an action POV?

or in place of a bullet camera?

I've got a HelmetCamera.com bullet cam, and want to replace it with an HD camera. Thought one of these might be the ticket...

any footage of high action pov type stuff?

I'm thinking of placing on my road race motorcycle, on mountain bikes and the like.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Galbraith View Post
or in place of a bullet camera?

I've got a HelmetCamera.com bullet cam, and want to replace it with an HD camera. Thought one of these might be the ticket...

any footage of high action pov type stuff?

I'm thinking of placing on my road race motorcycle, on mountain bikes and the like.
I have used it in car, vibration can be a problem.

I need to get a mount that has less flex. Or strap the camera down some other way.

I am also afraid the plastic tripod socket is going to strip, and I'm gonna get hit in the face with a camera while driving, so I've wrapped a strap through the wrist strap hole as well. Although the idea of the camera floating willy nilly by my safety strap a couple miles into a 20 mile rally stage still freaks me out.

I am going to try strapping it to my helmet (Mountain bike) here soon, vibration should be less. I will upload footage.

Oh, the other bummer is the LCD HAS to be flipped out, so on a MTB bike or something it is going to get torn off at some point, or poked by branches and things..

I too have been using lipstick cams, and will continue to do so because they are so light and small. The only problem is integrating their 4:3 picture with my other 16:9 stuff.

Last edited by Matthew Johnston; March 28th, 2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

One of the best pov cams out there. The lcd rotates 180 and lays flat so no worries. It's super light so it works great with a good mount, the manfrotto 241fb works really nice in conjuction with a 12lb 3d head for cars. Use a superclamp for bikes. 1 Hour recording with a 4gb card and a trusty remote which is way more necessary than you might have thought. The plastic threads are the major weakness but I've had one on the hood of a car at 75mph without failure. Good Luck.
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hurley View Post
One of the best pov cams out there. The lcd rotates 180 and lays flat so no worries. It's super light so it works great with a good mount, the manfrotto 241fb works really nice in conjuction with a 12lb 3d head for cars. Use a superclamp for bikes. 1 Hour recording with a 4gb card and a trusty remote which is way more necessary than you might have thought. The plastic threads are the major weakness but I've had one on the hood of a car at 75mph without failure. Good Luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I had wondered about the LCD... knowing that it wil do a 180 and lay flat is a big +.

any footage?

How does the compression handle high action in the frame?
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Galbraith View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I had wondered about the LCD... knowing that it wil do a 180 and lay flat is a big +.

any footage?

How does the compression handle high action in the frame?
+1 Anyone have any good high speed footage using either the HD1A or HD2?
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well... I just ordered one, so the high speed footage will be up in about a week or so.
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #7
New Boot

I look forward to the sample videos. I am looking for a good solution for HD POV cam on a sport motorcycle for track and street footage.
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lenzi View Post
I look forward to the sample videos. I am looking for a good solution for HD POV cam on a sport motorcycle for track and street footage.
come on out to a ZoomZoom trackday !!! :D
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM   #9
New Boot

I'll be at T-hill May 7th and Reno June 2nd. Maybe in between I can zoom over to a Zoom Zoom day. I bought the HD1a and took some footage. It's a great little camera when used properly on the bike. I'm looking for alternative mounting methods, as the plastic mount hole will most likely not last the abuse.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Any updates of footage from anyone?
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have some footage. I do not understand how anybody is making this usable. Any amount of vibration ruins the footage, and I have found it impossible to elimate ALL vibration. It seems the combination of vibration + movement overwhelms the codec, and it all goes to crap.

I have taken some clips to show here, to see if anyone can help me. First, I have two framegrabs. One with the camera mounted to the hood of a vehicle on a solid suction cup mount, first shot is with the car stationary, no vibration. Shot #2 is with the car in motion, look at the drastic degradation of quality due to camera vibration and action. This is a smooth road, 15mph.

Still:

http://www.mattjohnstonrally.com/top.../Hd1aStill.png

In Motion:

http://www.mattjohnstonrally.com/top...HD1aMotion.png

And here is a 90meg video clip. I did nothing to it except chop it shorter.

http://www.mattjohnstonrally.com/top...StickyTest.mp4

If you are getting decent results, I would love to know how. I really want to mount this to rally cars, and that is one of the roughest, vibration prone environments around. Unfortunately right now, a ebay bullet camera looks lightyears better than my HD1a.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Try setting the shutter to an very high value (1/1000th), it was an trick used on the HC1 HDV camera to get better images from the codec.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
Try setting the shutter to an very high value (1/1000th), it was an trick used on the HC1 HDV camera to get better images from the codec.
Another day, some more tests.

This time I set the shutter to 1/1000 in shutter priority mode. Seemed to make a LITTLE difference, but the real killer here is fast motion + the tree's. I have posted two captures. One with dense foliage, one without. Same exact camera settings, just about a mile farther down the road.

Foliage messing up the compression:

http://www.mattjohnstonrally.com/top...1000sticky.png

Less foliage, less crappy picture:

http://www.mattjohnstonrally.com/top...a1000nofol.png
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Bandwidth constrained. No motion blur makes image more predicable, also you see crisper GOP frames in action, but still bandwidth constrained, 18mb/s+ h264, would do wonders.
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #15
New Boot

Here's a short clip of some motorcycle footage I took with the HD1a:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TTM6MA1W

Set to "sport" mode
white balance set to "sunny"
focus set to "infinity"
image stabalization "off"
image mode "normal"
recording at SHQ
49mm filter ring adapter w/ enhancement filter and MC UV filter w/ lens hood

Clip trimmed with AVS trial version software (hence watermark). (If someone knows a better/another mp4 editor, let me know.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)