backpacker's camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old April 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Major Player

backpacker's camera?

If I were going on a 2 month backpacking trip far away from home where every week or so I'd be coming into a strange town to resupply -- and if I were carrying the HD1 or 2 -- what would be the lightest and easiest solution to downloading footage when in town before heading out again? Or is it simply not a viable camera under those unpredictable conditions?
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM   #2
New Boot

How about this? http://www.photographyblog.com/index..._2_smart_2300/
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820186003

$29 for the case $50 for a hard drive.
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to look into the weight of both these units. That's the rub. If it's like a pound or so, it makes more sense for me to simply shoot miniDV tape with my HC-3, which weighs about 1.5 pounds with battery. For equivalent pack weight, I would have a set-up that doesn't require any download headaches. On the other hand, if these systems are only mere ounces, then we might have something!
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Major Player

I hike with my HC3 all the time and I love it. Bring a bag of beans with you so you can set it down and get a level shot. Then do some timelapse action and have some fun.
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Ha, that's a good dual use for the beans.
The Smart 2300 is about 1/2 pound. The other unit I'm still not sure of, as it wasn't stated on their web site.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Contributor

How much record time do you need?

You may find that you don't need to download any footage. I'm using an eight gig HDSD card. You can pack a lot of video on that thing.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Is that about 2 hours worth?
Also, have you heard what anyone's using for a wide-angle lens that's of hi def quality?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
Also, have you heard what anyone's using for a wide-angle lens that's of hi def quality?
I'm looking into the Raynox HD-6600PRO49 wide angle lens. I have the 49mm adapter ring that fits surprisingly snug. I'd also be curious to know what others are using for wide angle lenses with this camera? The optional Sanyo branded wide angle lens I heard has some barrel distortion/vignetting.

Also, does anyone know if it's better to put UV and polarizing filters before of after a wide angle lens, or if it matters at all?
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #10
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
8gigs = 2.8 hours or ~ 160 minutes

From a review:

The HD1a can record up to 21 minutes of 720p HD video per Gigabyte on a standard SD or SDHC memory card. That’s up to 42 minutes on a 2-Gigabyte card or 84 minutes on the soon to be released 4-Gigabyte SDHC card (cards sold separately). Alternatively, HD1 users can select to record in Standard Definition mode (640 x 480 pixels at 30fps progressive) for up to one hour per Gigabyte of recording capacity. Users can quickly switch between high-definition and standard-definition recording modes by simply pressing the “HD/Norm” button located beneath the LCD display.

I too am looking for wide angle lens answers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)