DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   NewBlueFX plug-ins (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/newbluefx-plug-ins/)
-   -   NewBlue Stabilizer question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/newbluefx-plug-ins/484257-newblue-stabilizer-question.html)

Harry Simpson September 3rd, 2010 04:26 PM

NewBlue Stabilizer question

So I had to shoot an event with no tripod and i knew I'd be buying Stabilizer so I went to their website and bought it - After getting the footage onto the timeline in probably 15 clips, I added the stabilizer to the entire track and realized I didn't have a clue as to how to set the parameters so I went to help and like the second line in the help says
"Note that this version of Stabilizer is not optimal for Vegas Pro. If you are running Vegas Pro 8.0 or higher, please install Stabilizer Pro."
So I'm running this in Vegas Studio 10 HD - is that ok for "this version" of Stabilizer? I went to the web site for NewBlue and couldn't even find a Stabilizer Pro - wtfwt?
Then I tried to fill out a help ticket and after loging in and filling out every required field it kept popping up a message saying I must complete ALL required fields. ARGH!!!! their web site sucks!

I had bought a lot of their FXs like a few weeks before I upgraded to 10 from 9 only to find these FXs included in the upgrade.

I'll assume they say PRO they dont mean Vegas Studio 10 HD

Craig Longman September 3rd, 2010 04:46 PM

I'm not sure what Stabilizer Pro is, but I'm just curious, did you find the v10 built-in stabilization just not good enough? For any particular reason?

Don Bloom September 3rd, 2010 10:50 PM

Harry sorry to hear about the problem but I have to say I've had nothing but great sucess with NewBlue customer service. I had purchased a plugin about a year or so ago and had a problem getting it to load up so I filled a ticket and they emailed back with in a few hours, eventually we worked on the phone as well and got it taken care of with in a very very short time. Maybe give them a call?

Roy Alexander September 4th, 2010 03:19 AM

As Post

I am using VMS HD 10 PLATINUM and it has its own stabiliser which works well. I to could get no sense from Newblue about their stabiliser and eventually gave up on it.

Edward Troxel September 4th, 2010 07:36 AM

Stabilizer Pro requires Vegas Pro 8 or Vegas Pro 9 because it uses scripting to perform the analysis process.

For Vegas Movie Studio versions (and older versions of Vegas Pro), you must use "Stabilizer" which does not need scripting. Stabilizer performs the analysis process on the fly when playing back the timeline or rendering. Stabilizer Pro has an "Analyze" button which starts a script to preform the analysis process.

So, yes, the "Pro" version will not work in any of the "Movie Studio" versions.

Harry Simpson September 4th, 2010 10:00 AM

Where is stabilizer built in to VMS HD 10 PLATINUM?? You mean I blew $100 for nothing!! I'm looking in the FXs and only see the NewBlue Stabilizer I bought. What's it called?

Mike Kujbida September 4th, 2010 10:52 AM

Right-click on the event and select "Stabilize Media".
You can see a video describing it on the Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Video Editing page.
It's the second item listed on the Vegas Movie Studio Release Notes page.

Harry Simpson September 4th, 2010 12:48 PM

Thanks Mike!

in the Read-Me and the Promo site for the procuct - two places i never visited. I was looking in the FX list.

So the next question - does this work well?

Mike Kujbida September 4th, 2010 01:57 PM

Sorry Harry but I use Vegas Pro and have never used any stabilizer product (paid or free) so I can't comment on its quality.

Bruce Phung September 4th, 2010 05:25 PM

I am sharing my experience in regard to stablized video. I am using Vegas pro and I have spent probably more than 8 hrs of trying varies setting in VirtualDub and not able to find the correct setting. Although I have seen some impressive sample destablized footage in VirtualDub.

Today I download a trial version Vegas 10 platinum, just want to test out their bundled NewBlue stablized feature is awsome and easy to use. The only problem I am having is the stablized footage caused video quality degraded. My testing footage is Cineform AVI was beautiful, after destablized the video is not so beautiful any more. I just want to know anyone else encounter video quality loss after destablized??

Robin Davies-Rollinson September 4th, 2010 05:37 PM

You will experience quality loss when stabilising due to the image being enlarged somewhat to hide the jiggling edges caused by the stabiliser

Bruce Phung September 4th, 2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Phung (Post 1566132)
I am sharing my experience in regard to stablized video. I am using Vegas pro and I have spent probably more than 8 hrs of trying varies setting in VirtualDub and not able to find the correct setting. Although I have seen some impressive sample destablized footage in VirtualDub.

Today I download a trial version Vegas 10 platinum, just want to test out their bundled NewBlue stablized feature is awsome and easy to use. The only problem I am having is the stablized footage caused video quality degraded. My testing footage is Cineform AVI was beautiful, after destablized the video is not so beautiful any more. I just want to know anyone else encounter video quality loss after destablized??

I start to like it. Here is what I find, NewBlue stablizer stablized my video footage fine. I compared the stablized video and the source on the timeline, the quality is very good, I am satisfy with it. I don't know what happened or what setting I have on the above statement about video degradation. Now is is just as good as the original video. I am very satisfied.

Craig Longman September 4th, 2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Phung (Post 1566141)
I start to like it. Here is what I find, NewBlue stablizer stablized my video footage fine. I compared the stablized video and the source on the timeline, the quality is very good, I am satisfy with it. I don't know what happened or what setting I have on the above statement about video degradation. Now is is just as good as the original video. I am very satisfied.

Bruce, do you mean the built-in Stabilizer in VMS v10, or the NewBlue separate, purchased plug-in? I ask, only because you mention downloading v10 to test it, but you refer to the NewBlue one in your assessment.

Bruce Phung September 4th, 2010 06:36 PM

Craig.

I am trial the built-in Stabilizer in VMS v10.

Roy Alexander September 5th, 2010 02:45 AM

I have used the stabilizer built in to VMS 10 platinum as I stated in my earlier reply. If there is any degrading of the image I have not noticed it enough to detract from the enjoyment of the video content. It is far more distracting to me to have a jumpy image. To me anyway, HDV is so far better than SD that a slight degrading of the image still results in a much better image than SD. I take the view that if you use the stabilizer feature on the complete video, there is no other image for the viewer to compare with and so it is accepted without comment. Furthermore I believe that content is more important than image quality. Of course if you can achieve both good content and good image quality then you are onto a winner and it should be the aim of your video and film making.