NEXTO NVS2500 - Fastest SxS Backup Solution - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions

Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Pro Video NVS2500 and other Nexto DI location backup devices.

Old October 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The bottomline is this NEXTO unit is PURPOSE built - notebook PCs are not. It's aimed at people who need high-speed backups with portability, extreme environment tolerance, quick and simple usability and absolute reliability without much of a concern for cost.

By the way, there are camera shops now offering these things for rentals.
Steve Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
It's not just about form factor, for some of us.

In February of next year, I'll be filming a climb up Mount Kilimanjaro. Now I could rig some solar charging solution for a laptop and hope that the batteries will charge and the workflow will…well…flow. But the Nexto means I can offload using "AA" batteries instead of having to recharge laptop batteries.

In fact at the end of the month I'm headed to the heart of Brazil and the Amazon River. The last leg of our trip involves a glorified Cessna, and each passenger has a weight limit. Now, by not taking the laptop (4.5 pounds), I can take some other gear (like a Canon 7D with lens) that will add more to the finished piece.

The Nexto ain't cheap. But there is something to be said for traveling light. In my case, that something is usually said to my bank or credit card company, unfortunately.
That certainly makes sense for jobs like that. I'm sure there are several people that could take advantage of that convenience and portability. For the rest of us, their HDD version (Nexto DI) seems a bit more reasonable although it lacks the AA capability. B&H has those for $533.95. That being said, I can still get a laptop for close to that price although the drive would be smaller.
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions