Just Got My NextoDI! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions

Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Pro Video NVS2500 and other Nexto DI location backup devices.

Old November 11th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #46
Regular Crew

I think that one of the big questions (for me at least) was if the Nexto 2500 could read from CF, write to it's internal drive AND write to an external drive simultaneously. From everything I have been reading, it can. Go to: Nexto DI - Next Generation Storage with Digital Interface Scroll down to Multiple Back-up Functions. Also seems that the 2500 is the only Nexto unit that can do it.

Edit: Maybe not by eSATA, Dan... but I think I read in that TV Technology article that it can by USB2

Closer & closer...

Thanks!

Last edited by Bob Griffiths; November 11th, 2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
Bob Griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I've been asking about this for a while.

I can't see writing out the USB as practical considering USB itself. Speed-wise a show stopper.

If, in fact, the NEXTO can't offload to two, simultaneous destinations (internal/eSATA), we would like to have a final word on this.

Software can (ShotPut), so perhaps I will rethink my offloading procedures.
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Well... if the Nexto website counts for anything... we know it can back up to an internal and an external disk at the same time. We just don't know how. Anybody got a manual on this thing?
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #49
Regular Crew

That's been my issue for weeks.

The review in TV TECH specifically says one can go internal AND external via USB.

With USB you'll be waiting LONGER than it takes to write to the internal drive (which is SATA). So I can't see the USB out as practical, time-wise.

If it puts out via USB, why not eSATA??????
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Dear Bob,

I double checked my answer from Nexto.

The "Multiple Backup Function" works with USB only.

The eSata port is for connection to a computer only.
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Dan -

"eSATA is for computer ONLY?"

Are you saying you can't offload to an external drive from the NEXTO except via USB? Strictly CF to internal, USB out from the NEXTO to an external ONLY?

Something not quite right.

CF to NEXTO. Got it.

NEXTO out to? Via?
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Dear Daniel,

I posed this question to Nexto:

"I feel that the answer to your question: "Can I plug in a eSATA hard drive and have the CompactFlash card copied to two locations at once?" is no.

I feel that the eSATA connection is designed for transfers to a computer."

I received the following answer:

"The esata connection is only for transfering data to a computer. You are correct that only using USB allows the sync function."

I hope this helps.
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #53
Regular Crew

That's a device killer.

Dead thread.
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Daniel,

That is pretty harsh. As a device to use at the camera, put in your pocket, run off its own internal battery, copy CF cards on the fly, using one single button, and working reliably, and hasn't blown up any CF cards like Leopard has. And it's a bargain at $300 for the 2700.

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #55
Regular Crew

"Harsh."

Not discussing the 2700.

USB is NOT fast enough (unless it goes USB3, which it currently isn't).

The upcoming CD feature of recording to two CF at the same time is now starting to look VERY good, for feature work.
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #56
Major Player

Hello All,
I have been very seriously considering purchasing a Nexto NVS2500 I have contacted both CD and Nexto for more information. Nexto have emailed me a copy of the manual to study the operational functions of the copier.
Dan is correct that you can only copy to an external drives in USB mode only. It is bit slow and really only useful to off load the internal drive overnight and really not for field operations, but it eliminates having to take your laptop. In the manual Nexto make the following comment re Multi=Copy “Connect the AC power adapter to both the NVSPRO and the external USB Drive”. This indicates to me that the NVSPRO may not have enough power for the external USB drive and the internal at the same time during this copy function. I have found a NexStar 3 drive enclosure to take 2.5” drives that has USB 2 and esata connections, I just have to find a 5 volt power supply.

A good feature is that you can preview files from the internal or external drive and you can select show video clips which produces a thumbnail and Dan did say no sound.

Aaron how have you found the delete file process it sounds a bit strange with the method they have employed. In the manual they say “The NVSPRO asks you twice to confirm the delete operation. (If you do not want to delete it, press the button for more than 2 seconds to go back to the main menu.) Have I got this right you press the same button to execute delete and by holding it down for more than 2 seconds to cancel? I trust by now you have deleted files, how have you found it.?

My other concern is can the Nexto copy 64 GB PhotoFast 533X cards and they said they had not tested them yet. I am sure they or CD will test them in due course.

My major issue is with APPLE and Snow Leopard screwing things up. I have set my system up with three Stardom raid 0 3TB drives operating of a Stardom SJ20x8 PCI-E esata 4 port card and YEAP it’s not compatible with Snow Leopard. Which means I am left to do my transfers in Firewire 400 or USB and I need esata mode for speed. I have Shotput Pro and have been using it with firewire 400 and it’s painfully slow to copy to a raid 1 drive.
I think the Nexto is the answer for speed using esata, I just have to wait for drivers for this bitch of an OS
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Symmes View Post
That's a device killer.
Maybe... sorta. I was looking at spending the extra bucks on the 2500 if it could do the dual transfer in roughly the same amount of time. If USB2 is going to be so slow, then it may not be practical, particularly in light of Lance's post about requiring power adaptors. But I am still diggin' the Nexto concept... but probably with the 2700. The 2500 has the screen for playback, tho... even if the .mov implementation isn't working yet and it seems more robust. Lotta money. Fence sitting.

BTW, very important... how slow is slow? Will USB2 take twice as long as the transfer to the internal drive with verification on? 1.5x? 3x?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Symmes View Post
Dead thread.
NO!... please. It sounds like you and I are in the same boat and I would like to know what your thoughts are on workflow. This is a great thread... let's think this through together. My thoughts are:
- Go with 2700 (maybe 2500) and offload CF in the field... with verification, which is slower.
- get an eSATA Expresscard adaptor for the MacBook Pro and off-load at night through ShotPut Pro.
- This has the added advantage for me of allowing ProxyMill to tap into this process and create proxy files that I have to send to the writers.
- I'm also planning on using the Nexto device as the primary storage device with an OWC 500GB drive as the secondary. I go out on shoots for weeks at a time, so I will probably buy 2 Nexto units and corresponding secondary drive ... at least. So there are cost considerations here.

Thanks Dan K for the answers. I don't really like them but much appreciated.

Thanks all!
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #58
Major Player

Having worked with both units and having just reviewed the 2700, I honestly feel more confident with the "ruggedized" 2700.

And other observations are correct-- dual backup is only via USB.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #59
Major Player

I have not deleted individual files. I've only done format.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #60
Inner Circle

I just got a NVS 2500 and I love it.

Deleting backup folders is done by pushing the thumb stick up to delete and then when it asks you to confirm you push it down, so two different operations to delete a folder. I don't think you can delete individual files.

The speed of backup over USB will depend on the speed of your CF cards. For Transcend x133 cards the internal backup is about 20% faster than backing up to both internal and external drives. Backing up SxS cards is incredibly fast to the internal drive, but much slower to both drives, around 70% slower.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions