Nexto or CF reader at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Pro Video NVS2500 and other Nexto DI location backup devices.

Old September 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Nexto or CF reader

Hi Folks,

Making a shopping list (with a very limited budget :) for an XF300 cam and accessories, I'm considering getting either a Nexto or a CF reader?

Since I can't yet afford the Nexto Video Pro 2500, I was thinking of getting the Nexto DI instead:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/592215-REG/Nexto_DI_NESV_ND27252554_Nexto_Video_Storage_Device.html
Would this Nexto model work with Canon's MXF files?

Thanks,
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

I was training XF305s at a production company last week and they had looked into Nexto, but discarded the idea as it was apparently slow (and expensive). If you have any further info or get the opportunity to try one, I’d be interested to get any feedback.

If you’re going CF reader, be sure to get FW800 if you can - plenty of other info on this on other threads.

Thanks,

Nick.
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

I was initially planning on purchasing two 16G Hoodman cards and a Nexto. During a full day's shooting, I'd just upload the one full CF card into the Nexto, and continue to swap the two cards in and out as they get full.

For me, I guess the only speed issue would be upload times into the Nexto while out in a shoot. Hhmm. Will have to research a bit more.

Best,
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Interestingly that same production company opted to buy a large number of 32Gb SanDisk CF cards (80 min / card), rather than go the Nexto route. Each camera now has a couple of days shooting for the equivalent price.

I’m still interested to hear how the device works, but my only concern is the specs say only Firewire 400 which means a slow copy onto computer in comparison with a FW800 Card reader + just noted the copy specs which are in the realm of glacial for CF card.

Back-up Speed:

• SxS : Avg. 80MByte/sec
• P2: Avg. 56MB/s, P2E: Avg. 70MB/s

• CF/SDHC/MSpro : Avg. 26MB/s(CF), 20MB/s(SDHC), 10MB/s(MSPro)

Best,

Nick.
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #5
Major Player

I bought the Nexto DI Video Storage 500Gb last week and used it on my first shoot this weekend. I had two 7D's with one 16Gb CF card each and two 16Gb SD cards for my EX1. Dumping cards was a breeze! No notebook hassles. The Nexto has one button you simply insert a card and press the button. It takes about 10-14 minutes to dump a full 16Gb card. I dumped 120Gb with the external battery attached, the battery is now at 50%. At the end of the event I dumped all my cards onto the Nexto even the Zoom H4n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Would this Nexto model work with Canon's MXF files?
The Nexto will copy anything you give it even USB flash drives. It copies all the data & organizes them according to date and number. You can dump the same card multiple times it creates a new folder every time. Another great feature for those looking for redundancy - the Nexto allows you to attach any portable usb hard drive and will then make a backup/sync between drives for peace of mind.

I highly recommend the unit & with the small price difference between the 250Gb and 500Gb unit I would say go with the 500Gb.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Nicholas,

Appreciate the info, thank you. It does sound like a good solution and obviously works well.
Nick Wilcox-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Nicholas,

Yes, thanks for the info! Great to know that you can upload different types of cards with multiple types of files. It's really looking like a good choice for a Nexto :)

Also good to hear that you can backup to another USB external harddrive; are you using a smaller 2.5" external that doesn't need power? I wonder if all Nexto models have this feature.

Best,
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Vortex Media

I can echo everything Nicholas said.

I've been using my NEXTO DI 2500 all summer to backup files from my XF305 and my NanoFlash. In fact, most of those files are still sitting on the Nexto until I really need to get rid of them. Just one more layer of security.
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Doug!

Would love to buy the DI 2500, but can really only afford the lesser expensive Nextos. I know I may eventually need to buy more CF cards; but I think two 16G Hoodman CFs, plus the Nexto will have to do for now.

You didn't happen to include a Nexto workflow chapter in your upcoming XF cam DVD tutorial, did ya?

Best,
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #10
Vortex Media

Jeff, I do talk about the Nexto for a few minutes in my DVD but there was no need to spend a whole chapter on it. It's too easy to use!
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Nexto View function

Doug, you mentioned that you've been using the Nexto this summer with the Canon XF305. Does file playback work on the LCD viewer?
Greg Kubitschek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #12
Vortex Media

Sorry Greg. I'm travelling and somehow didn't see this question for a few days.

You can see thumbnail images of your footage on the Nexto and play clips back, but the playback isn't normal speed and it can't compare to the kind of playback you can get onboard the camera. The playback is meant just to give you confidence that that footage is there, but it's not much use for anything else.
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

The nexto nvs-2500 is a sweet product. It's not for everyone, but our custmers who have it, love it.

Videoguys.com - NextoDI NVS-2500 500GB Video Storage Pro

Revolutionary field backup device for tapeless workflows. Built-in 2.4 inch Color LCD Preview Monitor gives you the ability to review your transferred footage as thumbnails as well as playback video clips.

Gary
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for the link Gary!

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford that Nexto model :(

I went ahead and ordered this one last week:

Nexto DI Nexto eXtreme (500GB) ND270500G - B&H Photo Video

Will let you guys know how it works out with our workflow with Aodbe CS5.

Best,
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Major Player

Jeff I'd like to know how it works! I bought the Nexto DI 500GB VIDEO STORAGE which cost $533, yours is $200 cheaper. I also see no point in buying the Pro version, the LCD seems like a waste of battery life.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions