Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old September 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #241
Major Player

5 minute limit or not, this is fantastic news.

Can someone answer three questions though :

1) Is HDMI a format which only allows transmission of data inside a 60i stream (much like HD-SDI which is always a 60i stream from a camera such as XL-H1)?
This is important because the D90 would have to be de-interlaced to remove the pulldown if you wanted to avoid the motion JPEG codec.

2) Is this camera full frame since it is 12.3MP? What is the MegaPixel count have to be for full frame to be an option? Does it zoom into the SLR lens even when in movie mode? If I place a 50mm Zeiss Planar, will it really become a 60mm because of a zoom factor?

3) The Japanese night footage looks most impressive (to me). Can someone breakdown why this chip can detect low light better than a 3 CCD camera? I thought the more CCD's you have in a camcorder, the better low light response you'd get. The Airport footage is a stunning example of an extremely sensitive low light chip, but isn't this just one single image sensor? How could this possibly better than the three in a HVX-200 or an EX1?

Thanks for your thoughts,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #242
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
Can someone breakdown why this chip can detect low light better than a 3 CCD camera?
The difference is the sensor size. A bigger sensor means more photons fall on each pixel during a given period of time, all else being equal.

The D90 sensor is roughly 24mm x 16mm - about the same size as in the Red One.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #243
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
Is HDMI a format..?
HDMI is not a format. It is an interface.

Quote:
2) Is this camera full frame since it is 12.3MP?
No it is NOT full frame.

Quote:
What is the MegaPixel count have to be for full frame to be an option?
Pixel count has nothing to do with it. It's the physical *size* of the sensor, not the number of pixels, that determines whether it's full frame or not.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #244
Major Player

I've just posted my latest results from the D90 here D90 goes partying on Vimeo. This time it is all handheld with Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 manual lens.

I am truly amazed by the low light performance, it puts any handycam I've got to shame. There would be just no way to get this using a HV30 or EX-1 and a DOF adapter, not to mention it is just so much more discreet.
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #245
Trustee

The low light material looks impressive (exposure). From most of the clips I have been seeing, including yours Dan, there seems to be a lack of critical focus, this could be due to the fact it has been compressed for Vimeo - YouTube etc. Can you confirm whether the focus is spot on or is the footage soft. I know we are supposed to be looking at a shallow DOF, but I would expect at least one element to be sharp.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #246
Major Player

Focus is not always spot on, however its not bad. There is obviously a quality loss with Vimeo as with any other online video, btw are you watching vimeo with scaling on? it tends to make it look even mushier.

So you get an idea of the actual quality I've attached some still frames.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI-d90-video-2.jpg  
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #247
Major Player

Another one
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI-d90-video3.jpg  
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #248
Major Player

and one more, remember this is not shot in scientific conditions, it is a real world test.
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI-d90-video.jpg  
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #249
Trustee

Thanks for posting those images Dan. Unfortunately they do confirm my view that then images are not as sharp as could be. Do you focus via the viefinder or is it via the LIve View preview. I also believe that autofocus does not function with the video mode, can you confirm this, or correct me.

I am still waiting for my D90 to arrive so I will do some extensive tests with it.

Thanls
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #250
Major Player

Focussing is done on the live view screen when handheld, you can only use the viewfinder for focus static shots on a tripod where you can prefocus (AF or manual) then enter Liveview. On static shots you can also magnify the live view to check focus before you start to shoot, but this function is disabled when you start shooting.

Don't forget that in low light a lot of what you might think is mis-focus is also movement, noise reduction and compression at work, that said it would be nice if they added some enhancements like peaking or focus assist to help as the 3 inch screen is not all that easy to get critical focus with on moving subjects.

Last edited by Dan Chung; September 14th, 2008 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #251
Trustee

Thanks again Dan,

"Focussing is done on the live view screen"

from the various videos I have seen I though this was the case. I think this may be a severe limitation for those photographers/cameramen who saw the D90 as a "One Stop - do it all creative centre"

I know Canon are show casing their new camera this week, maybe this will have some features that may make me change my mind as to which camera is going to be the one for me.

Having voiced my views on the D90, I still think it is a pioneering acheivement and another turning point for photography. Your movie compilation of the party is very good, and viewers should also take into consideration that this was all shot in very low light and hand held.
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #252
Regular Crew

Could somebody explain the process(from camera to edit)

I am convinced by the quality now.
but just a simple question, I would like to know how do you bring the clip from the memory card to the edit software. Also does it have to render ?
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #253
Inner Circle

I wonder, is the HDMI output active during video capture? If so, an HDMI monitor is the solution for those who want critical focus.
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #254
Trustee

"Focussing is done on the live view screen"

from the various videos I have seen so far, I thought that auto focus was indeed turned off during video capture. Footage that I have seen desn't quite hit the focus mark in many clips. From my own experience, HD requires more critical focussing than SD. This could be be a severe limitation for photographers/cameramen.

I know Canon are showing their new camera this week (on the 17) , maybe it will have some extra features, hopefull video catpture, that may make me change my mind as to which camera is going to be the one for me.

However, I suspect we are going to have to wait for the next generation of cameras to have sonme useful features - ext. Mic socket (mini jack would be OK)), continuous autofocus, longer recording times - I would be more than happy to pay the tax difference (if this is the reason for 5 minute max recording time).

I hope to have the D90 within the next 7 - 10 days and I will publish a full review of it on photo-i.co.uk - no stone will be left unturned.

Having voiced my views on the D90, I still think it is a pioneering acheivement and another turning point for photography.
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #255
Regular Crew

Very impressive indeed. Some details would be helpful.
- You were manual focusing the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4
Have you shot footage that you like with another lens set in autofocus?
- Does the D90 have image stabilization? Was that used?
- I wonder if a steadycam would have helped at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
I've just posted my latest results from the D90 here D90 goes partying on Vimeo. This time it is all handheld with Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 manual lens.

I am truly amazed by the low light performance, it puts any handycam I've got to shame. There would be just no way to get this using a HV30 or EX-1 and a DOF adapter, not to mention it is just so much more discreet.
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video