Nikon D90 Raw footage for download at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old September 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Nikon D90 Raw footage for download

Okay I have had the camera for two days... It takes great pictures.... Time to check out the video feature. I own an HVX200 with the redrock micro adapter and wanted to put this to the test...

I have only shot for a little while and I can see lots of problems for serious productions. But this is a huge step in the right direction.. If Nikon can make one of these the way they use to make super 8mm cameras like the Nikon R-10.. One of my favorite super8's of all time... If they make a dedicated film camera with this 12 mp type of sensor with video as the main format in mind. We are going to have huge advance in digital cinematography for the masses.

I have included two original 720p HD video clips directly from the camera for you to download and play with...

One thing I noted if you mount the camera on a tripod and just shoot the scene without panning, it will look great for the most part.

I am going to do a bunch of tests during this weekend...

Color looks great, depth of field is great with the proper lenses.

Remember to shoot at 1/50'th shutter speed and lock exposure to get the best image.

I used the lens that came with the camera the 18-105 to shoot the video. I did not have on the VR function. I was in a hurry to play..

I will post the good and the bad next week.... all directly from the camera...

hand held inside nikon 18-105 vr VR off
Video 1
DSC_0003.AVI

hand held outside nikon 18-105 vr VR off
Video 2
DSC_0009.AVI

Tripod inside Nikon 85 F1.4
Video 3
DSC_0011.AVI

If you have trouble viewing files you can download the free evaluation codec here.... That is what I did.

Mjpeg codec.. Free evaluation

MJPEG Video Codec by LEAD - MJPEG / MCMP Compression for Videos

Sony Vegas has an update for the D90 now. I am sure the others will follow soon.....
Erick von Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #2
New Boot

image bend

Thanks for the clips.

Why do you think the image "bends" in Video 2 when you're panning? Does this also happen when you pan on a tripod?

The D90 may very well be a SLR Video stills camera that has to remain still.
Tony Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for offering to download. What is going on in the outdoor scene with the cars?
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yep, pretty dreadful as I assumed it would be!
Some people seemed to be getting so excited as if it was going to be a cheap Varicam the size of a stills cameras, but things like this illustrate why "proper" video cameras are made the way they are and why they cost what they do.
Very interesting to see, thanks for posting.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you get a chance, connect the D90 to an HDTV using HDMI. With a ruler, measure what percentage of the screen is available without being blocked by the menu graphics.

I'm interested to know if the D90 can do 2.35:1 and if the HDMI output looks much better than the M-JPEG compression stored on the card.

Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video