DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   Nikon d90 firmware update NEWS!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/233661-nikon-d90-firmware-update-news.html)

Robert Altman April 24th, 2009 10:28 AM

Nikon d90 firmware update NEWS!!

Check this out--
ProLost - ProLost Blog - Nikon Speaks Up about ManualControl

Makes the GH-1 even less attractive!! Of course if Canon does the same it will be the champ.

Steve Mullen April 24th, 2009 09:49 PM

The GH1 is still king as it offers 720p60 which is far more useful than stuttery old 24p that can't capture motion. Moreover, the D90 rolling shutter makes the camera unusable for anything but a demo clip.

Plus Panasonic has solved AF noise issue with a lens for video. It also supports AF during zooms.

Canon will not be the "champ" because it's 2X more expensive and so in a completely different price range. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Moreover, the VF doesn't work when shooting video making it unuseable outdoors during the day -- just like the D90.

Only the GH1 has been built for HD video on top of a shipping still camera.

Firmware will not solve the inherent problems of DSLRs.

Ian G. Thompson April 24th, 2009 09:55 PM

Lol..well....since you put it like that. I don't think there's a rebutal. I agree.

Robin Lobel April 25th, 2009 08:29 AM

D90 is useless for video, the compression is way too heavy..

Ethan Cooper April 25th, 2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lobel (Post 1133093)
D90 is useless for video, the compression is way too heavy..

Whole heartedly agree about the compression, but actually disagree with Steve about 24p. I happen to like the look of 24p. To each his own I guess.

Now if Nikon can up the bitrate through a firmware update then great, I'm all for it.

Ger Griffin April 28th, 2009 09:46 AM

I like the look of 24p but i think id like the look of 60p even more.

I find the the d90 for video not too shabby when outputting to SDDVD.

Soft but nice.

Gints Klimanis April 29th, 2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 1132951)
Moreover, the D90 rolling shutter makes the camera unusable for anything but a demo clip.

Agreed. Nikon could have improved this substantially with video crop modes that use a smaller portion of the sensor. This would also reduce the image downsampling artifacts and possibly allow for higher frame rates.

Ger Griffin May 1st, 2009 12:56 PM

if a smaller potion of the sensor was used would this not effectively be taking away the main advantage these cameras have over regular video cameras? ie. lowlight shallow dof etc. by allowing more light fall on a larger area. Isn't the whole buzz about this related to the fact that its a sensor similar in size to a 35mm film/dv pro camera?
Im not stating this as fact, merely asking if its the case or not. If those things are all down to the lens then fair point.

Ive seen some good stuff produced with the d90 in recent times. Rolling shutter is a nightmare but it can be worked around.

Robert Altman May 1st, 2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Griffin (Post 1136068)
if a smaller potion of the sensor was used would this not effectively be taking away the main advantage these cameras have over regular video cameras?

Absolutely right--you need a physically large sensor for the DOF--a smaller subsampled middle section of the sensor would give the DOF of whatever its' physical dimensions were.