Nikon D300s announced... still MJPEG - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #31
Major Player

Well Scott, I personally think your D300s is suffice for now. A 50mm f1.4 lens on that camera would be an absolute pleasure to use in lowlight evening situations. You have all the advantages these cameras offer - candid recording and Shallow DOF together with the nikon lens choices available make your cam one of the top contenders at the moment. Particularly if you can manage without manual controls, which is very doable.
I hope Im answering your question and if i were you, id be happy to stick with the d300s until something difinitive comes along.
As a single operator event videographer I wouldnt be comfortable using any of these HDSLRs as my main camera.
Its only a matter of time before one of them release a video camera style machine with the large sensors and lens compatibility of the DSLR. Its basically what we all want/need.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM   #32
Major Player

Here's another D300s short.

The audio was recorded using the built-in stereo mic on the Zoom H4n, set to Auto levels, then into the D300s, set to Medium (IIRC). Lens was the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G-AFS ED-IF VR.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM   #33
Tourist

Audio input on the D300s

Scott, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me if the audio input on the D300s is line or mic?

I've been told it says 'mic' next to the input, but I can find very little info/specs on the web.

Planning to shoot some interview ftage using a Rode shotgun through the Zoom H4 into the D300s. Would you recommend the settings/set-up as you've outlined below?
Christopher Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM   #34
Major Player

I can't say for sure either way. I assumed it was mic.

Since there's no way to monitor the audio recorded to the camera, I recommend recording your best sound to the H4 and using the camera's audio for backup and sync.

I returned the D300s several days after receiving it, do I no longer have it here for direct reference.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:27 AM   #35
Tourist

Thanks for your reply.

That set-up was my plan. Obviously use the D300s audio if it's good enough & have the H4 there incase it's not, and for monitoring.
Christopher Howe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video