DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   Nikon D300s announced... still MJPEG (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/239994-nikon-d300s-announced-still-mjpeg.html)

Ryan Koo July 29th, 2009 10:50 PM

Nikon D300s announced... still MJPEG

Just official: Nikon introduces D300S with HD video recording: Digital Photography Review

Better than the 5d Mark II: 24p, price.

Worse than: 720p, APS-C sensor size, MJPEG codec.

This ain't gonna push Canon to add 24p to the 5d. What's next on the horizon in "Photo for HD Video" land?

Chris Hurd July 29th, 2009 11:06 PM

Thanks. Noticed the video features are a bit different than the D90: "The D300S’s
advanced D-Movie function benefits from a number of functional and technological
advancements, including an external stereo microphone input enabling high-fidelity
audio, plus in-camera movie editing."

I'm also liking the dual card slots (CF and SDHC). And one important
thing that Nikon does but Canon doesn't: the option for on-camera GPS.

Some more from DP Review: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09...nikond3000.asp

Janne Miettinen July 30th, 2009 01:00 AM

Here are some sample clips from D300s!

D300S - D-Movie

I don't own a D90, but looking at the left bottom corner movie (colored buildings at night), the rolling shutter doesn't look as bad as D90's. The upper right movie also has some panning in the end, and it doesn't stutter. Can anyone else confirm what I'm seeing?

Janne Miettinen July 30th, 2009 01:06 AM

One more thing from that d-movie page!

"And Tripod mode gives you control over the depth of field with a selectable aperture of up to f/16.*

* With exposure modes A and M."

Is the exposure mode M something that is available on the D90/D5000???

Drew Curran July 30th, 2009 02:14 AM

interesting

I wonder if the sound recording abilities on the nikon will mean not having to use a separate sound recorder as in the 5dmk2?

I see there is a 5 min limit when shooting 720p.

Drew

Jack Kelly July 30th, 2009 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Curran (Post 1178550)
I see there is a 5 min limit when shooting 720p.

I guess I wont be selling my GH1 to buy a D300s then!

Ethan Cooper July 30th, 2009 03:52 AM

After reading through their stuff, I have no clue if they did or didn't implement manual control and that's the problem. If they gave the camera manual control in d-movie mode don't you think they'd be telling everyone loud and clear?

The image in the viewfinder looks like it has an "M" and an ISO setting of 200 so maybe they have manual control but who knows.

Until we know more about this camera I'll keep the rest of my opinions to myself.

Tony Tibbetts July 30th, 2009 12:13 PM

This seems interesting:

"You can also select the sensitivity level for either built-in microphone or external microphone, choosing from auto, high, medium or low."

If they've improved the jello and added manual contols... this could turn out to be a nice camera.

Heck if they'd just make the shutter manual it would be nice, I could live with any errant ISO noise.

Andrew Davies July 30th, 2009 12:59 PM

How does this codec compare with the Canon Mk2?

Andy

Ethan Cooper July 30th, 2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Davies (Post 1178754)
How does this codec compare with the Canon Mk2?

Andy

If it's the same as the D90's codec it doesn't compare. I'd like to see some full rez clips from Nikon.

Ger Griffin July 30th, 2009 06:00 PM

If its slightly sharper than the d90 footage with manual controls and less jello then to me its very good news, especially considering i recently bought a 50mm f1.4g lens which can be used for autofocus during movie recording. This, i believe works based on contrast detection. Could prove ideal for a situation where there is something very white that needs to be kept in focus in the scene. enough said.

Tony Davies-Patrick July 31st, 2009 03:54 AM

Nice to see that the new version has more mic options and manual control than previous models.

It is nice to also see the new Nikon update of the 700-200mm F/2.8 VR II.

I think that Nikon are working on updates to the pro & semi-pro full-frame versions - D700 & D3X. With a possible video add-on to the mid-pro body at a future date. However, I don't think that the D3X and future top-tear bodies will include a video option for a while yet.

Nathan Nazeck July 31st, 2009 05:07 PM

Why are they so vague about the manual exposure control? Is it "fake" control like the d5000? or can you actually select real aperture? I guess we have to wait until someone gets their hands on it.

Paulo Teixeira July 31st, 2009 09:06 PM

It’s in Nikon’s best interest to have the successor of the D700 include a video mode as good quality as the Canon 5D Mark II. Lest face it, that’s a big selling point.

Imagine if it was the other way around in which the Sony A900 had a video mode and the Canon 5D Mark II didn’t. The A900 would have been a massive threat to the 5D Mark II.

Emmanuel Plakiotis August 2nd, 2009 04:52 AM

I've read in a preview that the AF doesn't work after you press the rec button, meaning it can't do follow focus as the GH-1 does.

Very nice video, seems the jello effect didn't migrate to this camera:
YouTube - nikon d300s sur le terrain

Does anybody know if the European version can do 25p?