D90 vs Lumix GH1 ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

D90 vs Lumix GH1 ???

The EOS 7D will be far to expensive for me. Im not a pro, just a casual hobbyist who want to play around shooting with 35mm dof and doesnt want the hastle of adapters.

The Whilst the D90 has terrible rolling shutter, i can live with it, but the lack of manaul contorl bugs me.

I keep things simple, an dont require a huge number of features. If I was learning film making 'back in the day' I would have had a limited camera, I would have chosen a lens, a film stock (ie iso), and most likely shot at 24fps.

I dont need more than that really!! like I say, I keep it simple.

In the UK a D90 kit is £750. A Gh1 is £1150 so thats a £450 price difference.

The GH1 has full manuall control, but if I can loick the iso/shutter on the d90 i can use a manual app lens and stop up an down (at least as is my understanding).

How does the Dof of the GH1 compare to the D90?

Does the GH1 have rolling shuter issues?

What u reckon guys?

Thanks
James
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Gh1

I can't speak to the D90, as I've never used it, but I really like the GH1. I used it off and on for a week in Costa Rica, and got some amazing stuff…

NYL: A Day on the Rio Parismina on Vimeo

In all of the shots I took, there were maybe two or three that had obvious rolling shutter issues, but I was fully-zoomed and handheld…the perfect storm. Manual controls worked perfectly and were really nice to have.

The GH1 passed my testing for sure.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Trustee

I really liked the footage, Stephen, and very impressed at the smooth GH1 footage, especially during the waves (when compared to a lot of shakey handheld 5D clips posted lately).

I'm not so keen on the hard corner vignetting during the tarpon jumps, though.

The only thing missing from the "Day on the Rio Parismina" for me was 'sound'...at certain stages during the action it just screamed out for the noise of the spinning reel, the line being stripped, the tarpon crashing through the waves...and the soft sounds of the water combined with the laughter and thrill from the anglers.
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Trustee

I shot with the D90 but was not impressed. I bought an EOS 5DII, which was great for stills but so so for video so I sold it. I now own a GH1 which is much better than the D90 & 5DII for video. I will also purchase a EOS 7D when available.

For what its worth, the 7D body & the GH1 Kit are about the same price.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Stephen -- great footage; nice example of what's possible with these little cameras. I've been shooting with a GH1 for several months (nothing as nice as your footage though!) but I can see the difference compared to my previous HDV video (has a more mature look and highlights don't seem burnt out, plus the shallow DoF option). Thanks for posting your film.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Trustee

James,

If you haven't made a decision yet take a serious look at the Canon T1i (Rebel 500D). Although video is full auto only (as designed by Canon) there are some workarounds. You can set aperture manually using the "unlock and twist" method, and you can effect some control over shutter with a set of inexpensive ND filters. I use .6 and .9 for 2 and 3 stops reduction respectively. Stack them together and you have 5 stops reduction.

The "kit" lens, while not one of the best is not a bad starter, and a 50mm F1.8 lens sells for around $100 here in the US and is a tremendous value both as a sharp portrait length/perspective lens but also for great DOF control.

And I have no "rolling shutter" issues with anything I've done with it including video from moving vehicle.

If you have'nt seen this video yet check out this short thread on shallow DOF with the T1i:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd...ef-s-lens.html

I also have a 7D but chose to keep the T1i.

Last edited by Bruce Foreman; October 25th, 2009 at 05:23 PM.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Trustee

Hola, i "rented" a D90 from my dad...but unfortunately i m disappointed for not having the chance to shoot in full HD. So my thought are to buy a DSLR camera next year to achieve full hd images; now i ask: Is Nikon planning to make something really competitive to the 5dmkII?
What about i f i buy a Panasonic GH1, should i use which lenses?Does it shoot in full HD ?

thx and sorry for my newbieness as i m a rookie in the CAMERA WORLD.thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The GH1 does 1080p.
http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...Spec_Sheet.pdf
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Unless I'm mis-reading the spec sheet, it actually says 720p - not 1080p.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Trustee

It does 720 60p in AVCHD, 720 30p in MJPEG and 1080 24p. The GH1 wouldn't have been so popular if it didn't do 1080 24p. You still have to remove pull-down.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:04 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Paulo,

Are you SURE the GH1 doesn't do 1080 in AVCHD and 720/60p in Mjpeg? I think you have those reversed.
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:56 AM   #12
Trustee

I've had the GH1 since July and it does 720 60p in AVCHD although I notice that I didn't finish my sentence when I wrote "and 1080 24p". I should have said "and 1080 24p in AVCHD"
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:52 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Ahhhh! That's what threw me off. I was pretty sure someone had tossed me some GH1 1080 footage to remove pulldown.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:40 AM   #14
Trustee

If you are seriously considering the D90 you should at least glance at the Pentax K-x. It's cheaper, has better low-light performance, has manual aperture available for video, and allows all exposure settings (aperture, shutter and ISO) to be locked during video recording.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM   #15
Trustee

Will nikon on 2010 come up with some true Full hd 1080p camera?
how much does the panasonic cost?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video