Say hello to the new Nikon D3S: 720P - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old October 14th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Actually I like the embedded video. Maybe it's the way to go, what did you do. Oh.. great pics too.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #17
Trustee

"That's weird. Why does this show up as an embedded video instead of a link to Vimeo?"

That's technology for you Doug it moves on.

Regarding the D300s v D3s quality. It is about the same from what I saw, although the D3s does have the benefit of higher ISO capture. Either way, it's not a patch on a dedicated camcorder such as the EX1/EX3, but would suffice for the odd drop in shot here and there.

Did you buy D300s for still usage or for the ability to shoot video, or maybe both?
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #18
Major Player

I fail to understand why people get so excited about SLR's with video facilities. So what? Totally wrong tool for the job.

Trying to produce a professional product on one of those things would be like trying to dig your garden with a hand trowel. What you actually needed was a spade!

Yes they have large sensors and you can get all sorts of lovely DOF shots via the various lens options. But the ergonomics are all wrong and they are simply designed for taking stills. There's enough people on here moaning that they can't get creeping zooms on their EX1's let alone trying that sort of thing on an SLR!

Can't say I'm keen on the sample footage. Nice for one off shots but horribly artificial looking. What looks stunning as a still photograph doesn't make for good video IMO. Just not my cup of tea unless it was just for one single shot preferably with little movement.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
Can't say I'm keen on the sample footage. Nice for one off shots but horribly artificial looking. What looks stunning as a still photograph doesn't make for good video IMO. Just not my cup of tea unless it was just for one single shot preferably with little movement.
Maybe take a look at the price for a decent wide angle lens for the EX3 and then compare the savings on a Canon 7D with a 17-40mm zoom. Those quick drop in shots work well enough with a V-DSLR, but I take your point, a DSLR is not a replacement for a decent camcorder.
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #20
Vortex Media

Marcus,

I totally agree with your comments and I have made similar arguments many times. A DSLR sucks for video. Period.

My purpose in buying the D300s was for another reason, and now that camera is up for sale. I'll keep shooting on my D200 for the foreseeable future.
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
That's weird. Why does this show up as an embedded video instead of a link to Vimeo?
We're making a concentrated effort to keep eyeballs on DV Info Net. Thanks for understanding,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #22
Contributor

Well, the design of the camera may suck for video, but if you're willing to work with it, you can get pretty incredible video at a fraction of the cost of a real video camera. The hybrids aren't for everything, of course. I think the age of the hybrids has arrived, like it or not. There are advantages and there are disadvantages. Like with all cameras.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #23
Trustee

The video mode on the Nikon D3s is mainly targeted at the world press. Journalists can quickly send still shots alongside video clips for daily updates to websites and news media. There is no doubt that 720p will be a big boon for many and well capable of holding enough quality for the intended usage. Being able to produce short quality news video clips from one of the world's best pro DSLR bodies is going to be an added asset.

It is true that producing full-length feature films from the Nikon D3s DSLR is going to be a bigger headache than using say, an XL-H1s, Sony Z1 or EX1 or EX3 etc., but it will offer a huge opportunity for many of us working in wilderness or remote regions where a lack of transport means that low weight plus small bulk is the No1 priority.

I, for one, am almost ready to completely move towards carrying a DSLR for some of my expeditions. I'm sure I'd be able to produce great hour long movies for DVD & Blue-Ray using only the Nikon D3s...but whether it can fully replace all my Canon camcorder equipment and lenses is a very big question I'll need to find out over the coming months.

It might still mean that I need to carry a huge amount of stills photo + camcorder equipment for some time to come, but if that is true, I've got a sneaky suspicion that the Nikon D4 will finally make me sell all my Canon camcorder equipment. I just hope that it will provide a wider range of fps options than 24fps.
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #24
Major Player

The D3s is just for 2009 Nov. The new Cameras will be out in early to mid 2010... I will be getting a D4... but it will be only for certain jobs still especially when I shoot stills but need video. My EX is still my workhorse for now.

Entire Nikon 2009/ 2010 DSLR Product Roadmap Leaked | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Nikon D4
15.7MP (more sensitive and with less noise)
Up to 16fps with “double exposure”
ISO 200-12800 (plus extended range)
61-point AF
1080p video at 30fps
CLS control (although no flash is mentioned)

Nikon D400
13.8MP (more sensitive and with less noise)
8fps
Up to 12fps with “double exposure”
ISO 200-6400 (plus extended range)
61-point AF
1080p video at 24fps

Nikon D4x
30.2MP
ISO 100 - 6400
6fps
1080p video at 30fps
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #25
Major Player

Because the always busy Mr. Chris Hurd had that added - just for Vimeo - about two days ago.

See this post where he answers your question to someone else:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1431261-post22.html
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
..I also didn't see a mention of manual control.

p.s. Welcome to dvinfo Lance. I see its your first post.
Thanks for the kind welcome.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #27
Trustee

The 'road map' that Jason describes is not entirely accurate of course, although there will certainly be a Nikon D4 in the future... :)
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #28
Major Player

What I can't figure out is why more video camera manufacturers don't come out with a camera that shoots really good stills, instead of re-working still cameras to shoot video.

Most video cameras already have the ability built-in to shoot a single "photo" to a card, though most not very good quality. I'm thinking maybe this is where Red's Scarlet will fill the order.

With (pro) photographers now going the way of the albatross, and companies/ad agencies use more frame grabs for print from a video shoot, this is where the money would be in my best guess.

Jonanthan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #29
Trustee

Jonathan, cameras such as the Red do already capture still 'grabs' from footage if required, and other camcorders such as the Canon XL1-H1s can shoot photo stills of just over 1MP...which is not high resolution for a single photo in today's world. Single frame in SD mode using the interval timer is good for Stop-motion footage...although as I mentioned earlier, the Nikon D3 Stop-Motion footage is far sharper and higher quality, although the XL-H1 would deliver smoother blended footage without the jaggedness of similar DSLR stitched photos.

By comparison, the Nikon D3s will capture a full 12 MP full-frame extremely high quality single photo image during video shooting (by capturing a single normal 12MP image in between video footage it means stopping the flow for a fraction of a second before continuing the filming) or the D3s can also offer single frames from the actual video footage at lower rez 1280×780 JPEGs

Last edited by Tony Davies-Patrick; October 15th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #30
Trustee

Hands-on test video of the Nikon D3s in action:

YouTube - NIKON D3S TEST

The above was actually filmed 2-weeks BEFORE the launch by Nikon yesterday.

Below is a direct link to Vincent's extreme low light video taken at mainly 6400-12,800 ISO:

YouTube - Vincent Munier - Summer Variations - Nikon D3s

Obviously dull light and colours, but at such high ISO it is excellent.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video