Say hello to the new Nikon D3S: 720P - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old October 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post

or the D3s can also offer single frames from the actual video footage that can be saved as 9MP jpegs.
Not sure where you get this figure from, a frame grab from a 1280x720 clip = 2.64mb

1280x720 Frame grab of the Nikon D3s as seen on my video clip of same.
Attached Thumbnails
Say hello to the new Nikon D3S: 720P-d3sfront.jpg  
Old October 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #32
Trustee

One online review quoted 9MP jpegs, but looking at all others they only quote the ability to extract 1280×780 JPEG basic still images from movie, and this seems more correct when I come to think of it. Sorry about that, Vincent. I've now edited the previous post.
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #33
Trustee

Some mixed wedding stills & video footage taken at high ISO settings using the D3s:

Studio Impressions Blog Blog Archive New Nikon D3S sample images and video footage
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #34
Trustee

Thanks for posting that.

The movie clip (combination of stills and video) was enough to make you feel sea-sick, if not then poking your fingers down your throat would have the same effect.

The movies I have seen elsewhere using the high ISO settings were so noisy it could have been a good substitute for real confeti.

Having said all this, the Nikon D3s higher ISO still shots I have seen are spectacular. But at £4100 I don't think I will be buying one soon.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #35
Trustee

I know what you mean about the wedding video/stills mixed clip. I thought it was badly edited, and the short footage looked to have been taken by someone more used to shooting still images than movies. Take some seasick pills, Vincent. Lol!

Regarding the actual D3s, I think that it produces the cleanest high resolution/high ISO still images of any DSLR camera, and no other camera provides the opportunity to also film at such high ISO levels without the need for extra lighting.

I'm off to France & Italy again soon to do some filming, and will be taking camcorder equipment with me for the video and SLR equipment for the stills instead of hybrid DSLRs. I might be tempted to buy a couple of D3s bodies when I return from the trip, although waiting for the D4 update due in 2010 might be the wiser option for my type of work.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #36
Trustee

The D3s is indeed a superb camera, although it still baffles me why Nikon didn't go the whole hog and incorporate 1920 x 1080 i&p modes.

The low light still shots Nikon showed us at the press launch were nothing short of superb. As for the movie feature, Nikon said it was an additional feature to a still camera rather than being a video camera - fair coment! I guess Canon still rules in that DSLR department.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #37
Trustee

I've heard that the next Nikon pro body has full 1080 and updates more inline with what the pro-videographer requires.

The latest D3s is targeted more for the press photographer, although the earlier D3 already has a massive following of wildlife & outdoor sports photographers, so the single fps rate and 720P was a surprise move for many of us. But in reality, 720p is enough for most present broadcast applications.

The new D3s was just a tweak of updates on the D3 with added video mode almost as an afterthought.

Hopefully the D4 will not only improve video footage over the 5D & 7D, but also provide far better built-in sound recording options than any previous DSLR.

Mint-conditioned D3 bodies sell for under £2,000 in UK, so I could buy another D3 body + 5D Mark II or D3 + 7D for the same price as a single D3s.

I don't like the thought of carrying a selection of two seperate system lenses with me though, which would completely defeat the object of trying to cut down on the bulk & weight of my expedition equipment. So a couple of D3s or D4 bodies plus bag of Nikkors is my best option.

Last edited by Tony Davies-Patrick; October 19th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #38
Trustee

Yes, I have heard allsorts of things that the next Nikon will incorporate, we will have to wait and see.

I also use the Sony EX3 and tend to use the 1280x720 mode for most of my shooting. At first I thought this format was a waste of time, but then when I started to write to SD DVDs the problem of shooting 1920x1080 came to light, i.e. downsizing to 720x576 or 720x480 for SD desn't produce nice results. If your shooting for web then the 1920x1080 is an overkill.

There are interesting times ahead, and I also like the thought of less bulky gear for in the field work. However, for studio and other less spontanious shooting the EX3 works a treat.
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #39
Trustee

I had a go at the FX1 & Z1 but never tried the Sony EX3. It seems quite a popular option for many people and I've seen some superb movies produced from it.

Like you, I see the full 1080 rez as an overkill for most present day applications in my line of work, and actually still prefer to use the Canon XL2 for footage that is eventually produced as a DVD rather than down-sizing XL-H1 HDV footage.

I'm keeping a keen eye on the Blue-Ray sales and large scale production costs, but the planet seems a lot slower than predicted in taking on HD as mainstream.
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #40
Trustee

Yes the EX3 is a superb camera and with an in-expensive adaptor you can use all your Nikon lenses on the camera. Here is a link to a short clip I did using a variety of "Older" Nikon lenses.

Sony EX3 Nikon mount

Sorry the quality is not top notch, I shot and uploaded the clip in less than two hours.

This combination would be an ideal setup for a wildlife photographer. Having said that, you can also get an adaptor to use on your Canon XL - I had one that I used on my XL1s.

The main advantage for me is that the EX3 uses solid state memory cards (SDHC) and the workflow is much faster than with tape.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #41
Trustee

Yes, I have been using Nikkors on all my Canon XL bodies for a number of years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Say hello to the new Nikon D3S: 720P-canon-xl2-300mm-nikkor.jpg  
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

What we want to know, Tony, is... can you see all the way to China with that thing?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #43
Trustee

I could if I bayoneted this MF Nikkor MEGA Super telephoto 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8.0 P ED IF zoom lens on it!
This "mother of all zooms" weighs 16kg!
Attached Thumbnails
Say hello to the new Nikon D3S: 720P-1200-1700mm-nikkor-zoom.jpg  
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #44
New Boot

It's not about the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Marcus,

I totally agree with your comments and I have made similar arguments many times. A DSLR sucks for video. Period.

My purpose in buying the D300s was for another reason, and now that camera is up for sale. I'll keep shooting on my D200 for the foreseeable future.
I am a stills photographer by trade now doing some video work. I just sold my HVX200P and am going to purchase a DSLR that shoots video as well. I like where we are headed and because I feel comfortable with the feel of a 35, video images will be easy and exiting to shoot. Lance Armstrong once replied 'It's not about the bike'. He could ride any bike and win the race. You dedicated video guys are so immersed in the technical end of it, you pay little attention to what your shooting.
Jerry Manco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #45
Trustee

Jerry mentions - "...You dedicated video guys are so immersed in the technical end of it, you pay little attention to what your shooting..."

Well, knowing many who frequent this forum, my self included, who are 'dedicated video guys' with a deep and longterm knowledge of using SLRs and DSLRs at a professional level, I would have to say that your comments don't quite ring true... :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video