d90 borrowed from my dad for a couple of days...Gimme suggestions please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old November 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Trustee

d90 borrowed from my dad for a couple of days...Gimme suggestions please!

Hola guys,
i gotta tell you this story, my dad bought the d90 a couple of days ago cause he is so into Photography world, now i'm very curious to use it to record videos in HD, most of i wanna record interviews with shallow depth of field( blurred background).Now i wanna ask you a little step by step guide on how to set it to get hd videos with the blurred background.Could you help me?Which lenses do you suggest me to mount?

I really appreciate your help in my first step in this new world (hope my hd cam wouldn't be jealous).

Sorry Dad, i'll give you back the d90 next month!
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Trustee

When I read the title right away, I thought you we’re saying that someone stole the camera off your father and you’re wondering what to do.

Anyway, the lenses that are best for blurring the background are fast lenses such as f/1.8, f/1.4, f/1.2, etc, rather than lenses that start at something like f/2.8, f/3.5 etc.

Also something like a 35mm lens will allow you to get more in the picture than a 50mm lens.

I don't have a D90 so I won't be able to help you with the settings.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 02:05 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Edited thread title... replaced "stolen" with "borrowed."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Trustee

Guys i have to apologize for title!Maybe you don't know but english is not my first language, for this reason when i made mistakes i ask you to correct me; never too late to learn....
So sorry and thanks for taking time and patience to answer my questions....
Saturday i'll have the chance to go out and shoot some videos with the D90 so any kind of recomendation will be appreciated, i'm coming from the world of HDV camcorders and i've never shot videos with a camera....
thank you guys and sorry for the mistake of the title
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Paulo is right

If you want DOF a really large apeture is needed. Now that said you'll need a fast lens and once you go below f2.8 your generally into "Prime" lenses which do not zoom in Nikon's offerings.

For video unless you really, really need super shallow DOF, I'd suggest the 50mm f1.8 as being as far as you need to go. f1.4 & especially f1.2 are very shallow (f1.2 field of view which is in focus is basically a sheet of paper thick - eyes or eyebrows in focus).

DOF Test f1.2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Graeme Hay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video