Nikon question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old May 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Nikon question

What is the newest or best D-SLR Nikon for shooting video? Is Nikon coming out with a 1080p camera?

Thanks
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Trustee

I think only the D3s gives you proper control over shutter speed and ISO. But $5000 is a bit much to pay for 720p @ 24fps.

The D5000 might be the best of the (affordable) Nikon's for video because it's the cheapest one and has the swivel LCD screen.

I really don't see any reason to get a Nikon for video at this stage. The Canon offerings are much better. If you have Nikon glass and have been a Nikon shooter all your life, then I'd recommend you get a t2i in addition to your current Nikon and get an adaptor for your lenses.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Oops, I just saw in your signature that you already have a T2i. In that case, don't bother with a Nikon for Video. It's too painful.

I don't know if Nikon has anything up their sleeve but at this point you'd be better of waiting to see what their next offerings are. If you really want a Nikon now to shoot stills with then I would completely ignore the video function and get whatever suits you best for stills.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for your advice. I will keep the T2i then...the adapter works (sorta).
Can't believe Nikon would miss out on the popularity of the Canon camera for video HD. You can't even find a T2i, its sold out everywhere.
Losing a lot of buyers.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
...Can't believe Nikon would miss out on the popularity of the Canon camera for video HD...
Probably because the video side isn't quite perfected yet in the DSLR's; users reporting overheating in the 7D; video stuttering in the 5D. Just some issues that Nikon may be holding back and try to figure out how to alleviate these issues before implementing it in their offerings.

The ultimate would be to have the Nikon D3x w/1080p and 720p video included.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 03:50 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I really don't see any reason to get a Nikon for video at this stage. The Canon offerings are much better. If you have Nikon glass and have been a Nikon shooter all your life, then I'd recommend you get a t2i in addition to your current Nikon and get an adaptor for your lenses.
One area that the D3s shines (no pun intended) is low light. It is simply the best low light camera out there. But if you don't need to light a shot w/ a match, I think the Canon is superior.
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:28 AM   #7
Trustee

The Nikon D300s is a great camera, or if you prefer, like me to use full frame cameras, then go for the D3s - a truly superb tool for both stills and video.

Nikon are deeply involved in the design of a new DSLR, but like Andrew hinted at, Nikon tend to hold back with the release of new cameras until most major issues are ironed out. Rest assured that the next pro and semi pro models will be eye-openers.

The T2i produces nice video, but in my view the money spent on the more solid 7D or even better, the full frame 5D Mark II are well worth the extra cash.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Fwiw

There's a lot of talk on the rumor sites that a D90 replacement will be introduced between now and Photokina in the fall. Once again everyone seems to be saying this will be Nikon's first 1080HD camera. Of course they said that about every camera introduced since the D90. I've been toying with switching over to Canon, but I'll give Nikon a couple of more months to see what they've done.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:26 AM   #9
Trustee

Hope it's a good one. If I were to buy an vDSLR, I'd love it to be a Nikon.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rusk View Post
Once again everyone seems to be saying this will be Nikon's first 1080HD camera...
Nikon have already released a 1080HD camera, although not a DSLR The Nikon Coolpix P100 is 1080.

Judging by the latest Nikon Coolpix P100, which is the first Nikon camera with full HD - Movie shooting at Full HD 1080p for high-definition images with stereo sound, then there is a big possibilty that the next DSLR cameras from Nikon will also have HD 1080p, and hopefully PAL orientated frame rates.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I stand corrected...I was in a DSLR frame of mind at the time.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
Nikon tend to hold back with the release of new cameras until most major issues are ironed out.
And other manufacturers don't?
There's no getting away from it, Nikon are leagues behind Canon in the video DSLR field, as they were with image stabilisation until very recently. Were they waiting to get IS issues ironed out too while Canon swept the board with their IS lenses for 5 years or so with no competition?
And are you saying that they have now ironed out the issues and that the D300s and D3s have great issue-free video? They have no less issues than the Canons.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Trustee

I don't see companies like Canon and Nikon as horse races, Steve - even though they try to leap frog each other every other year.
I use professional cameras and lenses from both companies, and each have their positives and negatives. The Nikon D3s is a far better camera than the 5D Mark II in many ways, and visa versa. They are both superb tools, able to produce stunning stills and incredible video in the right hands. To me there is no clear winner, as long as they both enable me to capture my inner vision, then I'm happy.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Inner Circle

But that was not what you said. You said that Nikon hold back on releases until issues are ironed out, this is why they were behind Canon, and I simply don't believe that's true.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #15
Trustee

I said nothing of the sort, Steve.
Jim asked about Nikon, and I gave him my views about the best cameras available in that company which can shoot video.
I also mentioned that Nikon tend to hold back with the release of new cameras until most major issues are ironed out.
Where did I mention a company being behind another? Where did I mention Canon in the paragraph?

This thread isn't about a Nikon-Canon war or who's ahead in the rat race.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video