Which Nikon comparable to 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Which Nikon comparable to 7D?

Hi All,

Which Nikon DSLR is comparable to the Canon 7D when it comes to video? One of my colleagues has a lot of professional Nikon lenses etc. and wants to start with Video. We at least need the excellent lowlight capabillities that the 7D has and the abillity to do 50i/50p footage (either in 720p, 1080i or 1080p mode, that doesn't matter).

Gabor
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

None of them unfortunately!
The Nikons only do 24P, and even by DSLR standards have an awful codec.
Nikon have some way to go I'm afraid.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your reply.

That's a pity. We definately need the 50i/50p abillity. For the hard news ENG work we do (accidents, fires, etc.) 24p/25p/30p footage isn't usable at all. It is amazing for videoclips, a filmstyle look and maybe even for documantary purposes but for ENG work It is completely out of order in my opinion.

I am one of the first in the Netherlands shooting fires, accidents, robberies etc. with my 7D and my experiences are very good so far. I think I borrow him my good old Sony A1E on a temporary base and hope that Nikon will compromise our 50i/50p needs in 1 or 2 years.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Why not do what a lot of people do and buy a cheap Nikon adapter to allow your Nikkors to go onto a 7D?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That's what I did. I sold my Nikon D90, bought a Canon 7D and a Nikon to Canon lens adapter, and now use my collection of great Nikon glass. The video looks fantastic.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Contributor

Same here. I'm using my ancient pre-AI Nikkor 24mm, 35mm, and 105mm as my primary lenses. I also have a 135 and 200 but haven't used them because that range is well covered by my Canon 70-200 L. I also have a new Zeiss ZE 50mm. In my opinon, the old Nikkors look as good as the Zeiss and better than any Canon lenses I've used.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video