Nikon D7000 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
What really got me first was the shot of the white van parking with the top part of the frame showing electric wires against the plain sky. You can see the stair stepping aliasing on the wires typical of the D90 and D5000, (which we have.) Also the detail on the trees and hair seems soft.
Ted, look at the wires again. I think what you might be seeing is multiple wires that are wrapped together which give them the stair step look you might be seeing. I don't see that in other areas like some of the other wires or the railroad tracks that curve through the shot. Or even the stripe in the road that curves through the scene. I might me wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #17
Major Player

I had noticed that too - the stair-stepping seems to be from the twisted wires. But there is still some pretty bad color fringing around all of the wires.

Really looking forward to testing the D7000.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
Ted, look at the wires again. I think what you might be seeing is multiple wires that are wrapped together which give them the stair step look you might be seeing. I don't see that in other areas like some of the other wires or the railroad tracks that curve through the shot. Or even the stripe in the road that curves through the scene. I might me wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.
Greg,

I think you might be right. In fact, I do hope you are right.
This could give hope to Nikon users.
Heck I'm brand agnostic, in fact we were nikon users before the 7D. We still use nikons for stills.

I viewed it again, and I think the stairstepping that I thought do looks like the twisted wires only, the rest of the thin diagonal lines did not exhibit the defect.

Hhmmm... now lets see how fully manual this baby is.

either way, its a step forward for nikon, in the end the consumer wins.

Ted
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #19
Trustee

What about the bitrate? What do you guys think?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #20
Major Player

I think the bitrate is too low. Others' math has calculated it at about 20Mbps.

Another thing that was obvious on the video is the same thing that Stu Maschwitz lambasts Canon for on his blog:

ProLost - Blog - Ha ha very funny Canon now get back towork

The stills that the D7000 can take (at the end of the "making-of" clip) reduced to 1080 look far, far sharper than anything shot in the video mode. Very similar what happens on the Canons. So I'm not sure we should expect great leaps from this camera, even though the (slightly soft) video looks quite good.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:40 AM   #21
Major Player

Ted is this a camera that you are considering buying? I have seen your 7D work on exposure room and it is beautiful. I am torn between the 7D and this new 7000 because I have nikon lenes.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM   #22
Trustee

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind words on my work, I am definitely looking for a 2nd camera that can back up my existing 7D, OR something that can turn my 7D into a back up.

Right now I am on "stand down" mode since a lot of new offerings are popping out!

I use basically nikon mount lens on my 7D with the exception of the tokina 11-16 since it doesnt have an aperture ring so i HAD to get a canon mount.

When I dove into this DSLR form factor, I always had this thing in the back of my mind that this is a short phase that will soon pass as a natural evolution since we began shooting with 35 adapters and snapping it on to our video cameras, creating a bazooka like contraption( JVC w 35adapter+80-200mm= 1 meter long) we jumped for joy with the Canons DSLR video. The D90,D5000 we have never quite cut it.

Now this d7000, I will wait for the feedback from real users how truly manual this is.
How well it does with fabric patterns, and some charts.

The 60D is a slightly watered down version of the 7D, I need HD monitoring while recording.

Then theres the GH2, BUT weve seen how good 50mbps is on the Hack GH13, so we also wait for real user feedback. Also, I cant go for too much crop factor.

Then theres the slightly pricey AF100, hhmmm, it is cheaper than my JVC HD200.
But it will not offer the full frame of the 5Dmark II.

So I was also thinking of getting a 5D mkII, but Im kinda hoping they'll offer a better mark III?

Darn it.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #23
Major Player

D7000 - Best Rolling Shutter Test So Far Posted

...and it's not looking so good:

YouTube - Nikon D7000: Rolling Shutter Test

Looks like about 1/48 second read time from top to bottom.

Looking at two successive frames of one of the faster pans, I see 600 pixels of horizontal offset and about 300 pixels of skew. Eh.

However the images look really nice. Still buying.

Last edited by Eric Pascarelli; September 30th, 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: updated
Old September 30th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Yeah have to say I never really cared about the RSE back in the day and I care less about it now. Would I like it if it wasnt there? Sure, but its just one of those things that goes in the 'just be aware' bag and on you go with the actual job of story telling.

Im much more interested in finding out how good the auto focus works, low light comparison tests with the 7D and of course if it outputs a full 720 or 1080 signal over HDMI while in record. So anyone who happens to get their hands on one...instead of spinning the camera back and forth like an lunatic perhaps some other much needed tests could be performed. Yeah?
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 01:25 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
...and it's not looking so good:
Surprise surprise.
As Paul says, it's quite possibly not something that people will care about, but it's definitely there - how could it not be unless they'd suddenly made some astonishing technological advancement (in a £500 camera).
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 07:15 AM   #26
Major Player

It won't take anything an astonishing advancement - just a speed up of read times. Rolling shutter doesn't need to be eliminated - just reduced to a point where it becomes truly negligible (at least for my purposes).

It will eventually happen in low priced cameras - it's already been greatly improved in higher priced ones, such as Alexa and RED.
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I'm getting more and more impressed by the D7000 after seeing footage like this:
YouTube - Nikon D7000: Cinematic Look
YouTube - Nikon D7000: Light & Shadow
YouTube - Nikon D7000 vs. Canon EOS 60D
YouTube - Nikon D7000: Details & Depth Of Field

All footage by Fenchel Janisch.
Robin Hemerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #28
Major Player

Obvious bias Nikon guy, on the comparison video, look at the dof difference between the 2 cameras, just that alone tells me the guy does not make a fair comparison, will not trust this guy.
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Yes something is definitely up with that comparison - there should not be that much difference in DOF if lenses and aperture are essentially the same. Happy to be proven wrong but it seems while he states the aperture is the same on both - he never mentions the focal length either lens was set to.

Still either way the Nikon is looking mighty fine.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Surprise surprise.
As Paul says, it's quite possibly not something that people will care about, but it's definitely there - how could it not be unless they'd suddenly made some astonishing technological advancement (in a £500 camera).
Steve
You were definitely right. Now the ?'s are how much pixel binning and is the HDMI signal a clean 1080 23.976?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video