Nikon D7000 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old December 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #106
Major Player

Greg, I believe you're right. The problem seems to be downstream of that, maybe in the compression/buffer systems, which is a bummer for now but which also means that if any 3rd party recording system like a NanoFlash could tap to the image chain before it becomes encoded/compressed, then we'll see a quantum leap in the VQ this camera will yield.

Apparently the Jello effect is less than on Canons - but post software will make all of that a non-issue within a year. The Foundry makes a very effective (and quite expensive still) high end solution, and also iMovie v.11, the freeware program that comes with the current Mac OS, already has a pretty good de-Jello filter.
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #107
Regular Crew

Hi Chris, and thanx for taking the time to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Leong View Post
Yes, apparently it's the Exspeed or something in the processing chain that just isn't as quick as Canon's or other's dedicated video machines. I hope it's just firmware, but I don't believe it is.
Hmm, that seems suspicious... The Expeed would be fast enough to have elctronic shuter rates of 1/30 but not less?
Also, one can get 1080p24 but not 25? They couldn't squeeze 4% extra performance out of their expeed, even though it can deal with 16MP stills at 6fps?
I'm not toatlly convinced, to say the least....

Quote:
Apparently there isn't anybody on the Nikon R&D team with any voice who is a modern film shooter.
Apparently so... Nikon needs YOU, Chris! :-)

Quote:
[edit] it seems like Erwin vanDijck got one of the D7000s with the dead pixels. That is a firmware fix, apparently. And the thing that gets me is that usually if a reviewer finds an obvious flaw like dead pixels, usually one contacts the manufacturer first rather than assuming that that's what was intended (yeah, like Nikon intends dead pixels in its cameras, right) and then reporting on it. Maybe this person has a bone to pick with Nikon?[end edit]
I got a D7000 with many dead pixels too, but that's not what I'm complaining about here. I don't think that was Erwin's main gripe about the D7000 video capabilities either. Nikon acknowledged the issue and will be releasing a firmware upgrade soon.
I hope they take the oportunity to add a few video features...

Quote:
Me, I've not had problems with noise yet because I'm not shooting the slow kit lenses, but glass that's 2.8 or (much) faster, so pretty much I have NDs and Polas on all my glass all the time - I'm looking at the D7k for shallow DOF, of course, and the kit lenses don't do well for those images.
Agreed. I also shoot mainly fast primes with physical aperture rings. But I wish there was a way I could use my 14-24 and my 85 1.4 more easily: the lack of a physical aperture ring makes using G lenses a pain!
Also, I do see some noise even with fast aperture lenses. I mainly shoot indoors though, most of the time with only a couple of lights.

Quote:
No, there isn't a histogram or zebras in the D7000 (I have them on my external monitor, or just use the stills side as an exposure meter before I take the final shot)
Could you give me the reference of the external monitor you're using please.

Quote:
And its video is much better than the HMC150's stills is, at twice the price.
Agreed

Quote:
If you don't already have a system and you're looking for a one camera solution to everything, then probably for you the 7D is still the camera.
Nah... Nikon will eventually get it right, so I'll stick with them. 2 reasons for that: I have faith, and I will keep complaining to them till they do :-)

Quote:
Nah, I'm sort of joking, but really, isn't Nikon a much smaller company than Canon? I never really looked into that before. Never saw the need to, before now. Probably a lot more conservative, anyway, right?
We gotta give it to them that they do get their still cameras right most of the time. As for video, they don't have the resources CAnon have, being, indeed, a much smaller company. On the plus side, they don't have a video dept to protect, so they can afford to introduce new video features in their still cameras without fear of crippling the sales of their video dept.

Thanx.
Mikael Couderc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #108
Trustee

Do u think the shoulder mount- hoodloupe-follow focus for the 5d are the same size?
Adcom
I like this above

What accessories do u suggest me to buy?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #109
Trustee

Very urgent question:
Which 7 inches monitor do u suggest to use with this Nikon?
Please owners gimme a help cause on monday i have to buy it before my travel

thx a lot
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #110
Major Player

SmallHD 6.8"
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #111
Trustee

This is what u using?
Unfortunately in Eu it's hard to find small hd....
What kind of Input should i look for a monitor that could fit the D7k?

thx a lot
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #112
Major Player

You should look for something that's

a) battery powered
b) HDMI input
c) has mounting holes on all sides of the monitor
d) spare batteries and charger
e) can put a Hoodman or similar shade on the monitor
f) some kind of transport case.

That's about it!
If you find me a URL for a local supply house in Spain where you are, then I can look through it and recommend a make and model that's available to you.

Cheers!
Chris
Old December 18th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #113
Trustee

Muchas gracias Chris!
I can se you arevery confident with -hdslr world, what about a mount where i can mount the camera?Do u think what's worth for a Canons 5-7 d are good even for the nikon d 7000?
Could u link me models?
thx
Old December 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #114
New Boot

D7000 Testing

Camera tests are excellent / impossible to see screen in full sun so video options are limited in the field.
Nikon need to address this issue. Live View cancels the viewfinder and you have to use the screen.
Think that we will use a Video Camera for Video XF300 and Still Cameras for stills D300s and D7000.
Steve Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #115
Major Player

Marcus, hello!
Any mount will do - try zacuto.com

Steve, hi!
Use a Hoodman loupe or a Zacuto Z finder in the sun.

Cheers!
Chris
Old December 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #116
Trustee

Thx buddy,
i went on Zacuto site but
I got lost too many....any one u tested?
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #117
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
This is what u using?
Unfortunately in Eu it's hard to find small hd....
What kind of Input should i look for a monitor that could fit the D7k?

thx a lot
FYI: You can order the SmallHD DP6-SLR direct, we have many EU customers. Also, our next downloadable firmware release (V1.3) will have a Nikon preset for the D7000. In about 30 days or so we will have a battery bracket that will accept the D7000 battery type.
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #118
Major Player

Reed,

Will there ever be a built-in waveform display on the smaller monitors?
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #119
Major Player

Here is the mount I use and unit is not as expensive as others out there.

indiSYSTEM - ULTRAcompact
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #120
Major Player

Marcus, hello!

Basically, go with what Jim and Reed said.

I use the Tim Ovel's IndiSystem stuff, even on my EX1/EX3 Letus system.

And to have Reed himself reply says something about his commitment to us shooters.

Yes, there's more stuff out there, probably too much, actually. But one has to start somewhere, and these two are great places to start. Actually Reed's equipment will probably outlast most people's.

I'd like to know about exposure monitoring too, actually, Reed. So what Eric said, since the D7k seems very lacking in this department.

Cheers!
Chris

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video