Timelapse with the D7000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old February 28th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Trustee

Timelapse with the D7000

Hola guys,
i was looking to find a Timelapse solution for the d7000.
could you drive me?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Timelapse with the D7000

First check the camera's menus. Some Nikons have the feature built in. If not, does it have a 10 pin connector? Nikon makes a timer remote that will do timelapse. If not, then look at some of these:

https://www.harbortronics.com/
Pclix LT Introduction
Dynamic Perception LLC, Open-Source TimeLapse Motion Control Systems
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Major Player

The D7000 has a built in intervalometer, just like Nikon's pro cameras.

Go to the menus and to the camera icon, then scroll to "Interval Timer Shooting"

This uses the stills function of the camera rather than the video function, so after the time lapse is shot, these stills will have to be chained together to form a movie. Since the stills are pretty big files, this will take a bit of time to render, downres etc. in the software of your choice.

You can use compositing software to do this, like After Effects, Shake, Nuke, or it can be done in Final Cut Pro with a bit of fudging. There are many other software choices for Mac and PC that I'm not mentioning (you could use the old Quicktime Pro 7, for example).

Alternately, if your time period is 20 minutes or less, you can just shoot a video clip and speed it up in any editing program. You can also shoot a series of clips, if you can hang out by the camera and restart every 20 minutes, and edit them together and speed the whole thing up.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Trustee

Eric thanks 4 the advice!
I was thinking to shoot a picture every 2 seconds then open as image sequence in Vegas, what do you think? The timelapse of 20 minutes is very small so i guess at least 50 minutes BUT question:
Any issue with the shutter with a picture every 2 seconds?Somebody told me that could overheat or encounter mechanical issues....
Thx for the help
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Shooting stills every 2 seconds will not overheat the sensor. It's only in live view or video recording where that possibility exists. I've left my D7000, D700, D2X clicking time lapse for very long periods with no ill effects.

Shooting tons of time lapse with any still camera is not advisable because the shutter will eventually wear out (though I'm sure the D7000 will probably go much more than the rated 150,000 cycles, and even so, shutter replacement is not all that expensive). Still cameras really weren't designed for lots of time lapse, but occasional use is fine.

I've never used Vegas, but I'm sure there's a way to string together the stills.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Trustee

thx a lt Eric!
WHat's a good interval to shoot timelapse? How many seconds 2-3 or 5 for a timelapse of 40-50?
Other question: What kind of setting should i use for the picture that will be thrown on a video timeline?
My project are hdv 1920 x1080

thx mateeee
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video