A World First!(?) D300 (non-S) video! at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old April 17th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Major Player
A World First!(?) D300 (non-S) video!

Well having just picked up a PIX240 video recorder today, I got home and grumbled that I didn't have anything to shoot on it with. But then I remembered that my old faithful D300 has an HDMI output, so I plugged it in and started playing around.

The camera exports out a bunch of settings around the border of the footage, but there's a clean 1430 x 948 pixels in the centre which can be fairly easily cropped out and with the PIX240 able to record high quality audio to go along with the footage (albeit out of sync until I can figure out the audio delay to input). I now (inadvertently) have my first large-sensor HD cam!

And here's a sample (downressed to 1000px for web):

Kinda cool I reckon!
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle
Re: A World First!(?) D300 (non-S) video!

I did the same thing with a D300 I had lying around and my nanoFlash. The only downside is that the frame rate is very low in HD mode. 5 or so frames per second. You also can't enable PsF or else there will be interlacing every now and then.
I wait for the day cost-efficient global shutter 60fps capable CMOS sensors emerge for use on major manufacturers' cameras. (Sony, Canon, etc.) Rolling Shutters are a plague.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video