From MFT to FF a good idea (GH2 to Nikon D600)? at

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old February 27th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Major Player
From MFT to FF a good idea (GH2 to Nikon D600)?

I've been using a GH2 (hacked 88MPS) for over a year, and I'm pretty happy with the results in ideal conditions. However I'm finding the lowlight performance to be poor and as I was a Nikon shooter before I have a lot of 'Pro' Nikkor Glass (mainly FF glass) that when used with the GH2 using a adapter is troubling (that 2x crop factor makes almost everything telephoto).

So I've been seriously thinking about the D600/D800. For the money the D600 seems the better choice (unless someone can point out a serious reason why the D800 justifies a 50% more money on the video side of life, for photography I can understand it but I do less of that these days), D4 is outside my budget/willingness.

But I'm also concerned that I will see a drop in image quality, so that is of concern.

Is this a good idea or am I really just shooting myself in the foot?
Independent Filmmaker in Canada's Capital
Graeme Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew
Re: From MFT to FF a good idea (GH2 to Nikon D600)?

There is the issue of the D600 not having the adjustable aperture and the 100% hdmi out that the D800 has. Both problems have been mentioned as possible firmware fixes, but who knows. I moved from the D7000 to the D600 and am pretty happy with the camera for video. You can use manual lenses for adjusting the aperture directly, or do a two step process with g lenses by getting out of liveview, changing the aperture and getting back into liveview. I don't have a D800, so I can't tell you how the video IQ compares between the cameras. I can tell you that the still image IQ is very nice and hardly worth the upgrade to the D800.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video