anyone using the 7100 for video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old April 19th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

anyone using the 7100 for video?

I expected more buzz when this came out. Anyone here using it for video? I'm particularly interested in finding out what the HDMI video out quality is. Thanks.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:40 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: anyone using the 7100 for video?

The D7100 is a great camera for video recoding, it has some noise but the dynamic range is at least 12 stops or more, colour rendition is very good and there is no aliasing or moire. If used with an external recorder the noise problem is greatly reduced. The HDMI output is clean, I use the D7100 with a Pix 220 and I am very pleased with the results.

here is a link to a short clip filmed last June as part of documentary I am making in France
Andreas Serafini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, actually I've been using a D7100 for about 2 months now. Very happy with the results. Its a little smaller than the D800. The video is very clean especially if you use a Neutral profile setting. I've tried some other flat profiles but they added noise.

Overall I've shot broadcast work with the D7100, every liked the footage and thought it was acceptable. Its very comparable to my Nikon D800 footage. The only caveat is aperture control in liveview mode doesn't work on the dial. I mostly use variable ND's for subtle exposure changes. Pair it with a Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 and its nice little setup.
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Nikon DSLR Video Samples

Here's a few samples I've shot using Nikon DLSR for Broadcast. This was mostly shot on a D800 but I am using a D7100 with similar results.

Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:26 PM   #5
DVi Contributor

Looks great. So the 800 is the only model that allows you to adjust the F stop in live view mode? the 610 does not. and it appears that the 7100 doesn't either.

the HDMI out is clean, however, if recording to internal cards it bumps down when recording? So to get the highest results use external device like the Atomos or Pix220 and don't record internally?

thanks for sharing the links
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Major Player

For internal recording, the Nikon D-movie cameras (D800, D600, D7100 and D610) compress video to make H.264/MPEG-4 files with a maximum bitrate of 24mbs (4:2:0 color space). The files look very good, but they are definitely more compressed than comparable Canon 5D MkIII files. If you want a different codec, less compression, or 4:2:2 color you'll need to record via HDMI output to an external device.
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video