Nikon D7100 - Video settings at

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old April 27th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
New Boot
Nikon D7100 - Video settings

Just got my new D7100 today. Video looks great but a bit jerky. I tried to force fixed shutter speed in P mode but got confused by camera behavior. I'm new to DSLR video. Can somebody share video settings and modes to use? Manual is very vague.

- 30p Video is not very smooth, much more jerky than 30p video from my HDV prosumer camcorder set in in 1/60 shutter speed. Any solutions?

- What exposure settings to use in manual mode? 1/60 and whatever aperture required? Can ISO be adjusted live or has to be fixed?

- What auto mode to use for best video when auto is needed? When set to S shutter displayed in live view jumps all the time, so not sure what's happening, shouldn't it stay the same? What shutter speed will give me smoothest video and how to force is on automatic mode so the shutter is fixed and ISO is adjusted automatically (aperture is not adjustable during shoot, I know)?

- What picture settings to use for video that will be graded and edited?

- What picture settings to use for family-type video that just needs to be the best out of the box ("cinema" look not required).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Roman Bershadsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2
New Boot
Re: Nikon D7100 - Video settings - A weird BUG!

Update: I just confirmed a very strange bug! I did some shooting today outdoors in the bright light and in the S (shutter priority mode) with shutter set to 60 as soon as switch to video live view, shutter drops to 30 and stays that way no matter what I do. It does not respond to any dials etc. Obviously camera can't change aperture, so it changes ISO to keep good exposure. But I can's set shutter to 60 in any other mode but full Manual (M). The camera always drops shutter to 30. Why??? Note that if I switch to Photo Live View (not video) then shutter stays 60 and is also fully changeable by command dial.

I can't explain it by anything but a weird bug. I would be OK if it fixes the sutter to one value, but it should at least be the best suitable value (60 for 30p video)! Or user-editable. Instead it drips it to 30 even in bright light. It's not just not optimal setting, but also makes even harder to use wider aperture as there's just too much light at shutter 30. It forces to use manual mode, but with no metering I can't even properly change it during recording, because it's hard to see in a bright light if your exposure is OK and there is no meter to tell you otherwise. Any ideas about how to solve it?
Roman Bershadsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video